Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 May 2001 23:10:36 -0500
From:         Jason Stevenson <jstv4man@home.com>
Subject:      Side middle window bushings

Fellow listees- I am in need of assistance again. On my 1984 Vanagon, I went to replace the bushings (VW officially refers to them as guides) on the bases of the middle sliding side windows. Upon checking with the dealer, and discovering that the originals were discontinued, I checked into whether the later model ones were still available. They were, and I was told that the only difference between them was that the later ones were black in color. I ordered them, and received them promptly. However, when I attempted to install them, I hit a bit of a dead-end. They obviously slide into the existing slots and grooves in the window frame, but they have sort of a retaining tab about 3/4 of the way down them. I could slide them on to that extent, but no further. After monkeying around with it for a few minutes, and trying several different tools to get them to slide in the rest of the way, I stopped, because the plastic that they are made of is rather soft, and I didn't want to damage the parts. So, my question is this: does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get these guides slid into place without damaging them, the window frame, or the glass. I'm sure there must be some small trick to it that I'm simply overlooking. Thanks in advance for the help!

Jason Stevenson 1984 Vanagon 1998 Cabrio

[text/html]