Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 May 2001 21:41:56 EDT
From:         Loretta Abbott-Kennon <SyncrogalVW@cs.com>
Subject:      Re: is your Vanagon your main/only vehicle?
Comments: To: Greg@gregvaughnphoto.com

Hi,

I have 2 vanagons, I used my 90 GL as my primary vehicle until last year and put about 20K on it each year. The GL has had some coolant hose and pipe leaking problems from time to time (the last time I was sure it was the heads leaking but turned out to be the thermostat housing) Before I found the list I took it to the dealer or an independent VW shop for maintenance and repairs and it seemed like something was always breaking or going wrong with it. Since finding the list I have purchased a tool set, Bentley and have gotten to know how to make the repairs myself. So for the last three years I have had no major expensive repairs, just little leaks which I can repair myself. I even replaced the water pump on it, when that started to go.

I bought my Syncro a little over a year ago when it had 104K miles on it. At that time I immediately had the bucking syndrome to deal with along with an irratic idle. After solving those problems (w/ the help of the list and my dad) I have enjoyed 16K miles of relatively trouble-free driving. Now whenever anything starts to go wrong I consult the list and avoid taking it to the shop. The biggest problem I've had since then is a bad light switch which I replaced w/ new from Van Again and did it myself!

For me, I think these are pretty reliable because when things go wrong I know what to do. My friends with Toyotas brag about their maintenance free cars but when things go wrong for them, all they can do is tow them to the shop. I like knowing my car and have some confidence in it that other people don't seem to have in their cars.

But then with 2 Vanagons I do now qualify as a fanatic!

-Loretta 87 Syncro (daily driver) 90 GL (the limo)

[text/html]