Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 May 2001 19:34:20 -0700
From:         George Wietor <wietorg@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: Running rich
Comments: To: Brewhogger@aol.com

HMM... Had a similar problem in a '83 Volvo-turned out to be a sudden failure of the computer. Or so they said at the garage. Now I do all my own work. Takes me months to fix a simple problem like this!George

--- Mike Vanderzanden <Brewhogger@aol.com> wrote: > My '84 GL is running very rich. Mileage is 10 mpg > at best. Blows thick > black smoke when loaded (i.e. under acceleration). > Down on power in general. > Idle speed is eratic but does not stall (yet?). > Been driving her daily > under these conditions for months. > Things I've done: > Checked/adjusted ignition timing. Was retarded. > Now correct (at least > close). Made no difference. > Measured fuel pressure: 36 psi at idle with vacuum > connected. 42 psi (at > any engine speed) with vacuum line disconnected. If > increase engine speed > (with vac. connected), fuel pressure decreases (yes, > DECREASES) to about 32 > psi. > Swapped out the air flow meter for another (used but > serviceable) one. No > significant change in behavior. > Examined the spark plugs. All four were equally > black and sooty. > I also cleaned (with electrical contact cleaner and, > in case of ground > connections, emery cloth) and exercised all of the > connections I could find > on the engine management wiring harness. > I plan to measure the Temp. II sensor resistance > tomorrow. > An observation: I noticed that the position of the > AFM wiper is about 20 or > 25% "open" with the engine idling. This seemed > surprisingly high to me, but > I have no reference. Could be normal. Anyone have > any input? I also > adjusted the CO adjustment screw (under the plug on > the AFM housing) and this > had no real effect on the position of the AFM wiper. > Had a small effect on > the quality of the idle. > > I did a mechanical rebuild on this engine two years > ago (did not do anything > to the fuel injection/engine management system). It > ran fine and gave me 19+ > mpg overall fuel mileage until this problem cropped > up a couple months ago. > > Thanks for any suggestions. > > Mike > > I know that there's probably been several > discussions in past on this > subject, but I am new to this list and I haven't > figured out how to search > the archives by subject. Maybe someone can help > this non-savy computer user > in this respect. > >