Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 May 2001 21:11:33 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <steve@syncro.org>
Subject:      Re: Boston Bob
Comments: To: "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@mindspring.com>

Boston Bob does great work because he loves the machines he works on and what he does, not cause he's afraid of getting trashed on the list. But your point is well taken, Kimbrell. :~D Steven X. Schwenk

"Horace K. Sawyer" wrote: > > At 04:52 PM 5/9/01 -0400, Melvin Mudgett-Price wrote: > > > I have been quoted a price by Bob Donalds from > > Boston engine for a rebuilt engine. As everyone has > > been obsessed these last 2 days with giving their > > opinions on other vendors, has anyone got anything > > to say about Bob? It's a lot of money to send to > > someone I know nothing about so some positive > > feedback via pmail would certainly help. > > > > Bob, you are barred from sending an opinion. > > > > Melvin Mudgett-Price > > So your're unsure about whether to send your hard > earned cash to Boston? > FWIW, I have heard nothing but good about Beantown > Bob. (Bear with me please, in this post) The man > seems to know what he's doing, and seems to be driven > toward doing it right. Plus, there are reliable > reports of good results of his handiwork. So, you > got all that going for you. What more could you want > in the way of a recommendation? We are the community > that counts on recommendations like these. Fear not, > comrade! > > Now Boston Bob is quite unlike Todd Hill, who > espoused all sorts of wisdom and didn't know squat in > practice. A friend of mine was taken for a ride and > had to chase that bozo literally all over the > country, from Washington to Arizona, and Ohio. Ole > Todd got around. : ) He got around, but he had a > particular aversion to honoring requests to give > these things back once in his possession. He was a > master at giving grandiose and varied excuses, > however, which may be a trait of these types of > individuals. What happened in that case? > Persistence paid off. He was tracked down. The > transmission and the funds were recovered. In the > final hours, law enforcement had to be involved. > Note: Todd Hill claimed to have rebuilt the tranny, > but photo evidence clearly showed it to be a botched > job. Whether it was out of simple ignorance or > fraud, we may never know the real truth of lurked > inside this man's head. > > Interesting development: I know Boston Bob is > watching this thread, and fully aware of the tendency > of list members to libel, slander, and decapitate in > ruthless fashion. Yet, this has indeed produced a > "common good" from the ashes of those burned at the > stake. Why? People are watching and taking notes, > that's why. Having made your request for advice > about BB, I genuinely believe that both YOU and BOB > will benefit from a mutual agreement for him to do > the motor job. Why, specifically, you say? Because > his reputation is at stake to a far greater degree > than perhaps with the local customer who just calls > from the yellow pages. He is on the stage now. He > has a motivation to build you the best Waterboxer he > can. He knows the "good" word will spread, and he > will prosper -- as he should. Excellent work should > be paid an excellent price. > Likewise, he is under tremendous pressure not to > deliver a product that may fail. (Sorry Bob -- I > don't know you, don't have any financial ties to you, > and certainly didn't mean to put you in the pressure > cooker for this job if it is to happen; I am really > just trying to help all of us VW followers with > whatever small contribution I can try to make) > > Not to say mistakes can't happen, or unforeseeable > circumstances won't intervene their ugly heads -- > they are inevitable and unavoidable. But the > hallmark of a man or woman of character is the > ability to take responsibility. > > Horace Kimbrell Sawyer