Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 May 2001 09:58:57 -0600
From:         Damian Shaw <dts@xmission.com>
Subject:      dealing karma

I had to put in a few thoughts for everyone:

I have never had a bad dealing with ANYONE from the vanagon list. I haven't dealt with everyone (obviously) but I have had interaction with most of the 'usual' vendors.

I can understand being cautious about dealing with a single individual because they aren't a business. But Boston Bob's shop is a full-blown business. He had a million positive endorsements on this list. Your average car owner would take their car to a licensed shop without any recommendations because it's a shop. Well the same is true for Boston Bob except he has a million plus positive recommendations on this list. We don't need hysteria around here. Boston Bob is top notch - end of story.

No-one has mentioned our new-comer vendor to the list: Tiico. You try handing old Pete $3600 sometime and then complain to me about a $20 order from a private party. Know why I gave Pete that much? Because he too has a stellar reputation on this list AND he's a genuine business.

When it comes to dealing with individuals you're sometimes rolling the dice. That's all there is too it. Sometimes you might get burned. Shops screw you out of money too - they just do it within accepted parameters.

I have probably done over $10,000 in vw-related internet business. I have had one bad dealing that cost me $250. That was a lot of money but in that $10,000 I spent I know I saved at least that much too so the $250 is just the cost of doing business. I've also bought two VWs over the internet and those deals worked out too. Why - because I play it cautious but I still give the other party their agency in the deal.

If you've had a bad dealing with someone it is your right to post your concern. You ARE doing fellow listees a favor. But let's not try witch-hunting out a well-loved business. Between personal experience and the list's recommendations I would happily deal with:

Tiico Boston Bob Vanagain Bus Depot Fast Forward Adirondack (not vanagon-specialized; but otherwise awesome)

I would only avoid one business because of the list's recommendations:

GEX

That's all. Let's keep our emails to endorsements or condemnations based on experience and leave it at that. Be fair and people will usually be fair with you. Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll do fine.

Damian