Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 May 2001 09:17:27 -0700
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: is your Vanagon your main/only vehicle?
Comments: cc: jsteven@east.sun.com

Roy and others,

Sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble with your Westy. We had some friends with similar problems with their '87 transporter and they ended up in arbitration with VW and getting paid back for what I have since figured was the highway speed hesitation problem that VW and us home mechanics have fixed with either the $100 harness from VW or a $2.00 cap. fix. Too bad, it was a really nice van too.

I, myself, bought a '91 Westy on May 31, 1991 and have enjoyed driving it regularly (mostly to/from work). This last year I started having coolant leak problems at 135K miles and battery/starter problems and now it stalls somewhere between cold and fully warmed up. I have to baby the clutch and ease the accelorator on to avoid a stall at intersections.

But before that the only problems I had were the AC not working because of a failed resistor pack. A bad idle valve... Trouble with getting the hose from throttle valve to the air cleaner connected right. One flat tire. Westfalia letters peeling off. Oh! And I replaced the brake master cylinder... What a messy job!! Cruise control works when it feels like it. Mostly when the weather warms up...

I can't think of anything else, but there might be a couple minor things. Head Gaskets don't leak yet but I think the distribution stack does...

That van has given me more driving pleasure than any other although I can't complain about my wifes '86 Nissan Sentra. It has been great over the years. This list really helped when the hesitation problem reared it's ugly head.

I just recently purchased an '86 Transporter that has many signs of neglect. The speedometer doesn't work Replaced gas lines on the tank. Distribution stack had a leak and I had the auto. tranny crap out on me. That last one really hurt. $1322.00 to drive it away repaired again. What else...? I got some help from JonR replacing the CV's and boots one cold New Hampshire day. That was interesting and fun. Some day we'll do the other side....

I need to fix the heater lever connection to heater switch. Still blowing hot air like a big dog. I found out why this was done. The radiator fan wasn't working when the temp. went up. Part of the problem was a missing 30 amp fuse which I currently am borrowing from my '91 Westy. I haven't heard the higher fan speed come on yet and I think that's because it probably needs a new resistor....

And the list goes on for "Problem Child".... Oh well... I needed a winter thrasher and I sure got one... :)

Steven '91 Westy '86 Transporter

--- Roy Olynick <keepsake@pangea.ca> wrote: > I bought a brand new '87 Westy to be used as a my > family's second vehicle. I > believe in preventative maintenance and addressing > problems early before they > get worse. Since the WW (Westy Warranty) expired in > 1989, I have more than paid > for the vehicle, in repairs and parts. There has > only been one year since > purchasing the vehicle in which it hasn't been towed > (at least once) due to some > kind of mechanical breakdown. > > Sorry Volks, I threw away my rose coloured VW > glasses years ago. > > Roy Olynick > '87 Westfalia GL > (till death do us part) > '91 Honda Civic SE > '01 Honda Civic LX