Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 May 2001 09:28:53 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@islandnet.com>
Subject:      Gas Milage and the Fuel Pressure Regulator

Listmembers

The general idea of this post, is to associate some symptoms of too high of a fuel pressure. I own a 91 with a digifant fuel injection system. The information pertains mainly to digifant although. Some information is valid for digijet-- any additional information regarding the digijet reactions to fuel pressure being too high that would help list members should be posted too.

I've ben watching the posts concerning fuel economy and those about Fuel pressure regulators that read a few pounds high. The regulator's in these vehicles are under constant pressurized use and have a service life. I believe the regulator gets far too little attention considering an overrich mixture and it's associated symptoms: bad O2, Temp II, Temp I, or maladjusted AFM.

What really seems to compound the troubleshooting process is the engine seems to misfire, hesitate or malfunction the same no matter what is really the problem. Many say this is because the computer gets confused and thus similar observed engine symptoms can have radically different causes

A bit of background on the fuel pressure which is listed to be 29-36 PSI. The computer ASSUMEs the fuel pressure to be within specs when it sets any and all mixtures via a fuel injector pulse. The computer has no way to change the fuel pressure. There is no adjustment to fuel pressure. Fuel mixture can be adjusted somewhat via the O2 sensor which feeds data back to the ECU regarding mixture, but the ability to adjust the pulse to compensate for a too high fuel pressure is limited. Below are some clues when that limit is being reach But when the fuel pressure is too high, the regulator must be replaced.

The first clue that the fuel pressure regulator is setting too high a pressure is cold mornings when temp I, an air temp sensor, determines if the computer richness the mixture to start the engine. A pressure regulator that is beginning to get too high will cause the engine to sound like it's running on three cylinders, or chug, and then as it warms up and the Temp I compensation is removed, the chugging smoothes out. I've had this, and was related too high a fuel pressure.

The second clue is when fuel pressure is higher than Clue I above and results in a overrich mixture during general warm-up and all other operating conditions. This COULD look like a bad TEMP II, or a poorly adjusted AFM. Here the mixture is too rich because of The computer's assumption of fuel pressure at 29-36 is incorrect and thus the computer's base pulse calculation results in a rich mixture and leads to step 3 below.

Step 3 The O2 sensor gets coated with soot from overrich mixtures. Then the computer get a "too lean" signal and increases the injector pulse. Then you really get an overrich mixture. I've removed the soot coating by heating the O2 with my propane torch, and the sensor worked normally.

Since high fuel pressure can all of the above symptoms, I know I had them, it should be considered among the first things to check when trying to eliminate overrich fuel mixture symptoms

Also, I've mentioned in the past, but it's worth restating. The vacuum produced by the engine also affects fuel regulator pressure, because the strength of the vacuum is what keeps the fuel pressure LOW. When an engine is worn, has vacuum leaks, poor timing and etc., the vacuum created is below the needed amount. This translates into the fuel pressure regulator setting a higher fuel pressure. High fuel pressure is possibly a more prevalent problem than we are used to taking a account of when solving over rich conditions.

I believe that the testimony of those who have replaced the regulator with good results would benefit those who are facing this overrich issue.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat Cowichan Bay, BC