Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2001 04:03:56 -0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Engine Costs

Volks -

Awhile back I was asked to give an update on the actual costs to have a mechanic install one of Boston Bob's engines in my '87 Westphalia. I have put a little over 1000 miles on it in the last two weeks, and here is where we stand to date.

Your cost will vary based on the choices you make, hourly labor costs, and how your mechanic wants to count hours.

I purchased a 2.1 with a longer duration cam and new heads, polished and ground to give better air flow - 2600 New Clutch 140 (Installed at Bob's) Motor Mounts 40 Estimated Freight both ways 200 (We'll see what this really runs)

While it's out, I decided to do the fuel lines, water lines, and some of the plastic parts.

Coolant Hose Kit 378 Fuel Line Kit 53 Coolant Distributor 24 Thermostat Housing 37 Freight 9

While my mechanic was doing the work he discovered some bad parts that would have probably caused problems soon. The existing throwout bearing was also badly worn, but a new one came with the clutch.

Coolant Pipe 122 (with seals and shipping) CV Joint 82

Labor came out a bit higher than I had hoped. Shop rate was $50 per hour.

Repl Engine 9.3 Hrs 465 (Flat Rate) Repl Fuel/coolant lines 4 hrs 200

Swap Axles, RR CV joint 2.5 Hrs 125

Antifreeze, oil filter, grease ATF (steering) shipping etc. 60

When the engine had been run for a bit, a seal on one of the pushrod tubes started to leak. It had been pinched while installing it.

Bob Donalds agreed to pay for putting the new tube in place, so I have paid the mechanic $65, (tube, gaskets, shipping, labor) and hope to be reimbursed.

While the engine was out, I had the local hydraulic shop make a specialty hose out of braided stainless line. We removed the left side oil pressure sender, ran the line to the top of the engine and mounted the sender fitting there. When I am ready I will install a VDO oil pressure gauge and not have to tear things apart. Regular hydraulic line would have been about half this price, as would pipe, but this is a slick setup that should outlast the engine.

Specialty hose 40

Fill in your local labor rate, add it up, and throw in another $50 for phone calls and things I forgot.

We're not done yet. At 1000 miles, the three year old water pump has started to drip a tiny bit out of the weep hole (It would have been cheaper to do it when the engine was out, but I was trying to save $50)

The gas mileage sucks, 15-16 mpg, there is a very small oil drip from the front center of the engine, and #3 cylinder has only 110 psi compression.

We're going to hope it's a valve lifter that needs adjustment, or a piece of carbon on the valve. I'm going to have a separate post asking for advice on the mileage issue.

If I had to do it again? I would have bought more heater hose so he could have done the long lines to the front as well as all of the other coolant lines, and I would not have tried to save money using the existing water pump.

It would have been nice to be able to save money by doing the water and fuel lines myself, but it is so much easier when the engine is out.

Could I have tackled this in my driveway? Maybe, but I would have needed a solid week, and lots of help. I'm more of a woodworker than a mechanic. This way I get a warranty, and the knowledge that it was done well. I've been dealing with my mechanic for more than 20 years. He has made a couple of mistakes, but never let me down in the long run.

With care, I should be good for 15-20 years on this engine - if I can control the seam rust!

Thanks for all of the suggestions for things to do while it was out!