Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2001 06:20:10 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Gas Milage and the Fuel Pressure Regulator
Comments: To: mike_l_f@hotmail.com

When you put the new engine in, what other changes did you do to the intake and exhaust?

Did you put in an air filter (K&N has a drop in model) to allow the air to enter the engine easier?

Did you clean the throttle body and sand the inside to make it smoother and less restrictive to air flow (small amount but all changes add to bigger change)?

Did you put on a free flowing muffler? Dynomax makes a 6" round that bolts in with little modifications, muffler supports need to be opened up by about an inch to fit the larger diameter muffler. It is quiet at 75 mph.

Did you match port the air runners to the intake port on the heads? The air runners have about a @2 mm smaller opening. This allows for slightly more air flow to the pistons. It can be done by using the gasket as a template and matching to the intake port, then grind the air runners out to match.

Did you match port the exhaust system? The elbow on stock systems seem to have a mismatch on one of the two pipes coming into it is 4 mm off-center. I ground one edge of the port at an angle to remove the restriction.

Did you wrap the exhaust pipes with heat wrapping? Gene Berg has this. It keeps the heat in the exhaust and reduces heat radiation from the pipes into the engine compartment. This keeps the exhaust gases hotter and helps to maintains a high exhaust gas velocity throughout the pipe. This allows the exhaust to have better a scavenging effect on the gases. With the increased duration you can give the intake a better head start towards the piston by the exhaust gases exiting pulling the intake charge in sooner. The air flow meter measures the amount and the ECU knows the amount and provide the correct amount of fuel based on the engines sensors. When you wrap the exhaust (I used ceramic coatings) the exhaust gases stay hotter and therefore travel faster, providing a higher vacuum pressure (scavenging effect) as they exit and pulling more fuel into the chamber, providing more power at ALL rpms, and when you make more power at all rpms you need to use less pedal to make the same speed. Another benefit is that all the rubber parts in the engine compartment will last longer, especially the rubber coolant hoses, due to the trapped heat the parts face during running. I can take a two hour cruise and the engine compartment is warm, I can put my hand on the alternator and it is warm.

Are you using the Quad tip Bosch Platinum plugs? The direction of the flame kernel is directed towards the piston top more than with the single and similar to the triple electrode. I have a set and my engine starts with just a bump of the starter.

I would not use synthetic oil until after around 5000 miles to allow for the rings to seat. Then use a quality synthetic. Redline, Mobil, etc.

If you are going to get a fuel pressure regulator, get an adjustable single diaphragm regulator. I got mine from CB Performance, You might have to persuade them, talk to Baya and mention my name, she is aware of T1 parts I have used with the WBX engine. This would allow you to set the fuel pressure. The vacuum is different from stock due to the cam change and a new stock might not read exactly correct.

If you need part numbers, look in the archives for my name, I have listed all parts used during the past two years.

Robert

[text/html]