Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 May 2001 11:27:10 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>
Subject:      Re: is your Vanagon your main/only vehicle?
Comments: To: John Brush <jbrush@aros.net>

>My ignorance is showing, but where does VW RSA exist, do they sell to >the US? I am not certain I know what a Caravelle is. Its a european >version of the vanagon, right? Which model does it closely resemble? > >I could never afford one even if I could get one, but the idea of having >a new vanagon helps me make it through a tough day. It would be beyond >great to have a new one. >Just dreaming like a lot of you.

The American market gets different names for many vehicles. Eg Honda Legends and NSXs are called "Acura" there, some Nissans "Infiniti"; early Passats as Dashers, Golfs as Rabbits, Santanas as Quantums, Corollas sold as Chevy Nova or Geo Storm, Suzuki Cultus as Pontiac Firefly (not necessarily the current models mentioned here). Vehicles sold elsewhere are not "European" market unless being sold in Europe. The upmarket T3s were sold as Caravelles for basically the world market... excepting NA.

The Type 2 has always been the Transporter, though the current German offering hardly fits the bill and same with the new show vehicle. The T3 generation (T3 implying not Type 3, but Type 2 Series 3, as opposed t o the T1 Split and T2 Bay) is what Americans call a Vanagon, though I belive a very few Vanagon badges did sneak onto vehicles in other markets eg Australia. As an aside, Americans call the front-engined T4 heaps Eurovans and Japanese apparently call them Vanagons! Ah, badge-engineering.

Caravelle is the upmarket MPV version of the Transporter. As far as I know all T3s were sold as Vanagons in the NA market. I believe a Vanagon GL is a direct equivalent of a Caravelle GL. Kombis are bare-bones basic, with vinyl-covered bench seats in the back.

Confused?

VWRSA has a website <www.vw.co.za>. The photos aren't really big enough. The lower-end T3 in RSA is called Microbus, the top-end is Caravelle.

As to importing RSA T3s into the USA, this was a tread on the list some time ago. I think the concensus was that it's not worth it. List?

Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin, New Zealand fax 64 (3) 479-7527 <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> www.goingplatinum.com/member/vw1 www.my-successcenter.com/member/vw1 www.aciimoney.com/index.shtml?vw1 VW & Toyota vans, Toyota diesels and Macintoshes rule