Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2001 18:55:37 -0600
From:         Steve Blackham <steph@uswest.net>
Subject:      Wasatch Vanagoners parts cache
Comments: To: Andrew Parker <acparker@xmission.com>,
          Blake Thornton <thornton@math.utah.edu>,
          Damian Shaw <dts@xmission.com>, Drew Bedford <drew@bomb-proof.com>,
          Eric Johnson <roq8cyans@aol.com>,
          Fred Brittain <vanpire@interfold.com>,
          Gary Shea <shea@gtsdesign.com>, Gerald Masar <azsun99@earthlink.net>,
          Justin Jensen <jjensen@sprintmail.com>,
          Ken Wyatt <kokopellis@att.net>,
          Larry and Patty Hamm <ldhamm@xmission.com>,
          Travis Pearce <travis@seldomscene-bca.com>

I was thinking about this today, after fighting with Bus Depot and their poor service. Since we don't have an adequate local source for most Vanagon parts, I would like to suggest a shared parts cache of hard to get and decommissioning parts (parts that take your van out of service). I stock almost a complete set of things for my air cooled units because I have parted out several Buses and AC Vanagons in recent years. It's the 86 up waterboxers I'm worried about. There are several parts that are not available locally which as a group we could cache for the groups convenience. I keep a waterpump in my personal cache presently if anyone needs a loaner while waiting for one to be shipped in. Other parts that might fit this catagory are ECU's, AFM's, idle stablizers and control units, Thermostats, temp sensor #2 (German not autozone), rear brake shoes, etc. If we all picked just one part or shared it with another local Vanagoner, we could be assured of having parts available when needed, thus keeping our vans on the road and not sidelined waiting weeks for replacement parts.

Also the people who are thinking of Suburuing might offer their now obsolete parts to us remaining 2.1 waterboxers.

I have seen some blown engine waterboxers in the Thrifties in month past for $300. I have no more room for parts carcus units in any of my garages but we could have a quick "sacrificial" bar b que party and get it down to parts if anyone is interested and another one comes available

Good idea or bad Idea

-- Steve Blackham Centerville, Utah

77 transporter converted to camper (Westy top) 83 Vanagon (New and current project) 87 Weekender