Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2001 22:40:18 -0500
From:         Alan Watts <alan@16color.com>
Subject:      good things to have...?

So there I was, cruising on the highway in my new 85 Westy when all of the sudden BOOM! I saw rubber shards whipping around in my wake. I pulled off the road to see my tire rather flat. I pulled into a parking lot and got my equipment out for a tire swap. The tire had a gash across its entire width and the tread was blown off. As I proceeded to gather my tools, I noticed the previous owner had left me without a lug wrench. A nice cable technician let me borrow his (and luckily it was the right fit)...so I would have been pretty helpless if he wasn't around. First thing tomorrow is to get a new set of rear tires and a lug wrench :) What else is smart to always carry around? I have belts, fluids and the basic tool set (I also have a 76 beetle so I have all the minimal tune-up tools) but are there things that I should buy to have a spare of?

Also, are there kits to add locks to westy cabinets? Maybe one for the under-the-bench stowaway?

Thanks! Alan

My dream vanagon: The techno-nomad (under construction) 1985 Westy 2 Aux solar-charged batteries Starband satellite internet connection Powerbook g4 station LVAN (local van area network!)