Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 May 2001 18:11:26 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>
Subject:      Re: Is a Porsche 911 engine too powerful for a Vanagon and/or
              Syncro  Drivetrain?

No way will a mere 200-odd hp overwhelm such a good-handling chassis (I'm serious). Mine had a 174hp GM V6 when I bought it, and could easily have taken much more power. HOWEVER driving a camper means you have to be careful on bends, particularly righthanders, as the cabinets etc could cause a rollover. They fail the Moose Test! Noncamper Vanagons can be cornered very hard.

Your only worry will be tires, if you feel that you can't afford high-performance tires suited to heavy vehicles (eg made for Mercedes S-Class etc). But if you only want the power for overtaking, and not for speed or hard cornering, this may not normally be an issue.

I am going the G50 route myself. I'm told the trans is on the water now, bobbing its way over from der Vaterland aboard the SS "Kormoran". Sending it over by Heinkel would have cost too much. Attached to it will be a 3.3 260hp Subaru DOHC six. A better engine than the Porsche (at LEAST as reliable, better specific power output, revs harder...911 "purists" may now selfrighteously choke), watercooled so it allows retention of a working heater. Brian Steel in Seattle beat me to getting his SVX-Vanagon Syncro on the road, but he has a workshop of his own and used the stock VW trans (waiting for it to blow). I may eventually put a supercharger on mine, either exhaust or belt-driven, I'd have to look into it.

However you don't have a heateras your van is aircooled, so if you don't mind paying big bucks for an engine and more big bucks if it ever does need work, the Porsche aircooled six is still a great engine. And it doesn't need the horrific water plumbing VW came up with...also it's more common than the Alcyone SVX engine.

In fact I'm doing the G50 route myself, but MSDS seems to have reneged on his promise to sell me the trans-only part of his kit. My 094 5-speed failed, no surprise here.

I am now trying to get info from a German fellow who may be able to get copies of the Claer G50 kit. Herr Claer, in my own experience and those of various Germans who know him, is not a good man to deal with... if he even deigns to reply.

Your drivetrain won't handle it long-term. But you could fit a Carrera 4 trans and front diff... or a G50 and ditch the front drive parts.

My next projekt... an SVX-powered 911.

Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin, New Zealand fax 64 (3) 479-7527 <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> www.goingplatinum.com/member/vw1 www.my-successcenter.com/member/vw1 www.aciimoney.com/index.shtml?vw1 VW & Toyota vans, Toyota diesels and Macintoshes rule