Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 May 2001 10:56:15 EST
From:         Andrew Payton <zenlunatic42@usa.net>
Subject:      [Re: Trip reports] - one of my own
Comments: To: Zoltan <zol@foxinternet.net>

I'm gonna have to agree, I enjoy reading people's travel tales. If nothing else, to get a little escape or inspiration. With that in mind I'm going to transition into my little trip story where I went to Florida. Curious, read on & check out this trek.

So prior to leaving I check everything out, even have someone else check everything out, & get a new starter, a little transmission tweaking, and an oil change. Assuming that everything is good to go I head out on a Tuesday morning with three friends for Florida. Living in Frankfort, it's about a 12-14hr drive to our destination. I intended to take my sweet time gettin there, no hurry, but when we finally did arrive there, it had taken us 48hrs.

At the bottom of Tennessee (ardmore maybe?), about a mile from Alabama, I pull off to fuel up. Ready to leave, turn the ignition, nothing. Huh? Not knowin what exactly is going on, but assuming it's something I really can't take care of where I am, I prepare for the worst. Talk to AAA about them getting me but the van starts up after about 30min. Cool... let's keep movin.

Pull off in Athens Alabama, same problem. Just won't start right back up. Go get something to eat at a Waffle House, come back, & it starts up. Gettin kinda crazy. Of course, it all goes downhill from there...

When we get back on the road I'm having power problems, I can really only get up to about 45mph unless going downhill. By the time we reach Birmingham it's gotten even worse, down to like 35mph, so I pull off, check things out, can't figure it out. At this point it's like 10 at night so we just decide to get a hotel room (even though we didn't want to) & stay the night there. Trying to get to the Shoney'sInn, which lies on a hill, the van actually dies going up the hill b/c it has so little power. Wind up having to start it, have everyone push, then coast into the parkin lot.

Next morning, van doesn't start right up but we get going again. Make it to the next exit. At this point the van has so little power it's untolerable.

We've been practicing a lot of patience and humbleness up until this point - no arguements or anything - it was amazing. Call AAA, get towed to the next exit, Hoover, AL. They take us to the local VW dealership, Crown Infiniti Inc. Talk to them, call someone back in my home town to get their opinion.

They suggest the catalytic convertor. Hmm... makes sense. We hang out in the car dealership parking lot for ab out 3hrs. While I'm trying to call around & find out if anyone can help us, not wantin to get reemed by the dealer, my friends are laying out on top of the van & just tryin to make the best of a bad situation. By this point we've already accepted the fact that we could be stuck in this town for the next couple days. We've asked around & apparently there's this park around, so we've talked about getting a hotel near there.

Well finally we get towed to a Midas place down the road. They do a back

pressure test, & the little dial shows mine being at the bottom of the red.

Near 100% blockage b/c of the catalytic convertor. They want $350 I don't have but can have me ready to go later that day. Then, some random midas man comes to my rescue & gets one of his "buddies" to come after work, cut the damn catalytic convertor off, & we're back on the road at like 8pm Wednesday night with still a ways to go. Amazingly, everyone's been super-nice to us, reduced-rate hotel room, towing, police help, letting us hang out at their place of business, whatever. It really hasn't been that bad of an experience & we've tried to enjoy it.

Back on the road & happy we're just ready to get to Florida. Then, that night, around midnight, I pull off again in Owasa, AL. Van won't start again, so we just push it off to the side, pull out the weekender bed, & go to sleep. Wake up the next morning, & finish our drive to Florida, getting there Thursday morning.

Have a wonderful time while in Florida for those two days. Time of our lives. We're proud of ourselves just for having made it here. It's been an experience before we even get to Florida & we've learned a lot... I think

everyone could use a little more patience & humbleness. Never got mad at one another & was even proud of society in general for still being humane.

On the way back, have the problem where whenever we pull off to get gas, we have to stay for like an hour before the van will start up. Die down in Athens again, get a jump, & make it the rest of the way home. Once I get back into town, I immediately get a new alternator & now things are running fine again.

We grew a lot from that experience, learned to appreciate one another more, & still managed to have a lot of fun. Do I regret it? Shoot no! I had my fun, it was just a lot more troublesome than most. Although, I must admit, when I came back & while I was down there it sure did make for a good story.

Well there ya go guys, my trip to Florida...

Andrew Payton Frankfort, KY 82 Vanagon L

Zoltan <zol@foxinternet.net> wrote: > As a matter of fact, I print out the long and exciting reports of his kind. > It is even nicer to read it leaning back on the couch, then I let my wife > read it and one of my kids. Unfortunately I can not answer all the > questions he makes up. > Zoltan > Vanagon is the most practical vehicle. I can't wait for the hydrogen power > transformed into fuel cell power. >

____________________________________________________________________ Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1