Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 May 2001 14:25:37 -0500
From:         Steve Gough <vw@emriver.com>
Subject:      Re: AFM Testing?
Comments: To: Joe Romas <jromas@columbus.rr.com>

Joe,

I'm sure I'm checking it right. Behaves the same way both by checking at pins 2-3 (center two) and by touching the board.

Here are the values, in kohms, measured both at the pins and by putting a probe on the carbon track where the wiper are contact would be (and closest to the taps, because the carbon track obviously has its own resistance: Here's what I get:

pins 3-4 on carbon track

closed 500 500 1 1100 1100 2 1100 1500 3 1100 1500 4 1100 1800 5 1100 1200 6 1000 1100 7 950 1000 8 900 1000 9 800 1000 open 300 700

----- Original Message ----- From: Joe Romas To: Steve Gough Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 2:05 PM Subject: Re: AFM Testing?

Steve,

Something dosen't sound right! It should keep rising in a steady line with no dips or rises and keep going up untill it reaches the end. Are you metering it at the pins or somewhere on the board?

Joe ----- Original Message ----- From: Steve Gough To: Joe Romas Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 2:56 PM Subject: Re: AFM Testing?

Thanks, Joe.

What's wierd to me is that neither unit shows a steady increase or decrease in resistance as the flap is opened. More like a "hump", i.e. resistance slowly rises until about half open, and then falls again. It's lowest at either end of the travel. Make any sense?

Steve ----- Original Message ----- From: Joe Romas To: Steve Gough Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 12:59 PM Subject: Re: AFM Testing?

Steve,

The one with the drop-outs is bad! The resistance should rise steadilly as you move the arm from idel position. When the computer gets to the "drop-outs" it sees it as a lot of air and adds more fuel and that's when things go south as far as running go.

Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: Steve Gough To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 4:06 PM Subject: AFM Testing?

Dear List,

I'm trying to tell if I need a new air flow meter for my '86 Vanagon.

Can anybody enlighten me on how resistance should change as the vane moves? My manuals (even Probst) are vague. I have two AFM's in hand. Both show similar resistance changes with movement, but one seems to have some drop-outs.

Couldn't locate anything in the archives.

thanks,

Steve

[text/html]