Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 May 2001 18:36:31 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@juno.com>
Subject:      Re: I am stumped
Comments: To: jromas@columbus.rr.com

There are two connectors on your coil. + and - the double black wire from the junction box goes to the + side. The wire to your points, White wire to your control head, and a tach If you have one goes to the negative side. Take the coil off and be sure where each terminal is. If you've accidentially connected your points to the + side even momentarily it will burn out your points and sometimes melt down your condenser. If you radio is hooked to the ignition switch on position you can also burn out your points when you just turn your ignition on to listen to the radio, because power is going to the coil for extended periods of time. If the points just happen to be closed you could burn out your points. Be sure your radio is hooked to the accessory side of a fuse. Having had several Vanagons in the 80-83 range I've found a wide variety of "get me by" parts installed. If your van will run, then the coil is probably OK. If it's not Bosch check for numbers and confirm that it willl work on your van by checking the Applications book by the coil manufacturer. 80-83 Aircooled vans use *solid core wires* going to the spark plugs. It can have a resistor wire from the coil to the distributor or a solid core wire, It will not run with Resistor (carbon fiberglass) spark plug wires. Mine runs OK with a resistor wire between the coil and distributor cap but It came with a solid core wire here. The rotor arm has a built in resistor, it should have a short black area between the center and the brass end of the rotor contactor. I'm noe sure but I'd say it needs this too. Make sure you've got *non resistor* spark plugs. Check the Bosch, AC, Champion or other spark plug applications book at the parts house and make sure the plugs are non-resistor plugs. Check the brown ground wire at your Double Relay. Put it under its own screw, squeezing it down under the double relay isn't a good ground.

That's all of the things I'd do if you brought your Vanagon to me to troubleshoot for an ignition problem.

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air Cooled