Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 May 2001 11:10:23 +0300
From:         Stebbins <stebbins@aucegypt.edu>
Subject:      Cairo Report: Eastern Desert trip: FULL report

Due to popular demand (21 people have asked for the write up) I will post this to the list. This is my wife’s write up and I have edited it a bit for more vanagon content. Thanks to EACH (of the 21) of you for writing. =============================== Our trip into Egypt’s Eastern Desert was, like our previous excursions, an adventure. One “adventure” which, thankfully, we didn’t have to cope with was van trouble – or at least, serious van trouble. Again if you like pictures go to www.photopoint.com and enter Stebbins@aucegypt.edu to get into our ‘album’ and this trip is called the “Eastern Desert Trip”. If you like to follow along with a map try: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/Libs/PCL/Map_collection/africa/Egypt_rel97.jpg for an overall map of Egypt.

As it turned out, our itinerary for this 8-day trip didn’t correspond to the actual route we took, for reasons I’ll mention in a minute. Nevertheless, our original plan was to head east from Cairo to the Red Sea, travel south along the western coast of the Red Sea as far as possible, then head inland (west) to the Nile, and travel north down the Nile back to Cairo. We were successful with most of this plan, except for the Nile part …

We left Cairo on the 12th of April, heading south-east-ish from Cairo toward a Red Sea coastal resort town called Ain Sukhna. As we left Cairo Pat mused “why can’t little, inconsequential things go wrong like …. the odometer rather than big things like the coolant system” (trouble that we have had before). Anyway at Ain Sukhna (on the Red Sea coast) we headed south, following the main road along the Red Sea (here called the Gulf of Suez). Not surprisingly, the Red Sea coast is considered a prime tourist development area – so following the coast means passing by many (often quite unappealing-looking) established, newly-completed, or unfinished resort hotels. Consequently we decided to look for secondary roads that followed the Red Sea, but that which might not have yet fallen prey to tourism. After a few hours’ drive, well into the afternoon, we found one that suited our taste: a small paved road that allowed us to travel in relative peace along the coast while gazing out at the amazing multitude of blues that colour the gulf, and at the rugged coast of the Sinai across the Gulf of Suez. As sunset approached we began to hunt about for a place to camp for the night. We found what we thought seemed like the perfect spot: a little cove, a fishing spot where the fishers were just pulling in their nets for the day. Unfortunately … no sooner had we stopped and begun preliminary preparations for setting up camp, out of what seemed like nowhere came a soldier. He explained to us that it was “not possible” to camp at this point, and no amount of persuasion by us would change his mind. So off we continued on the secondary road, feeling a bit concerned as darkness approached, which would make finding a camping spot rather more difficult.

A few kilometres down the coast we came to a small military outpost right on the water’s edge, staffed by three young, male soldiers. We stopped and asked them where we could find a place to camp. They thought about it for a moment, then gestured to a flat spot just across the road from their outpost! Once we parked the van, the soldiers invited us back to their outpost for tea – a typical form of Egyptian hospitality – which we gladly accepted. As we walked to the outpost, we both took in our surroundings: it was a lovely spot, with the road following the Red Sea and the colourful mountains of the Eastern Desert looming closely up behind the van. As we sat and drank our tea, our hosts attempted to chat with us, and we with them – a bit of a struggle, since their English and our Arabic were equally limited. However, I found the linguistic challenge to be a real pleasure, and once again was very thankful for the extremely helpful Arabic tutor we have in Cairo!

Not only did the soldiers offer us tea; they also invited us to have supper. We agreed, and supplied some fresh vegetables and juice as our contribution to the meal. After about an hour of socializing, supper was served. We discovered, much to our disappointment, that once our hosts served out the food, they didn’t plan on joining us to eat! We tried to insist that they join us, but to no avail. So, we tucked in to what was a delicious meal of fresh fish, cooked and fresh vegetables, and macaroni. After the meal and as we headed back to the van for the night, Malcolm tried to offer them some money for the food (again, not an uncommon custom, in our experience); but they wouldn’t take it, telling us that we were their “friends”. We were both very touched by this generosity and hospitality, never having encountered anything quite like it before in Egypt. The next morning, as we prepared to leave, we left them a large tin of peaches, our attempt at a more concrete “thank you”. As we waved goodbye to our hosts, we both felt that our trip was off to a very good start.

Only a few more kilometres down the road, we came to yet another checkpoint, at the entrance to some kind of oil processing/storage factory (there are numerous oil drilling rigs out in the Gulf of Suez). Here the soldier was quite insistent that we could not pass through his checkpoint. We even tried asking at the factory if we could continue on, but the worker who accompanied us back to discuss the matter further with the soldier had no luck. I was a bit discouraged, thinking that we would have to retrace our steps about an hour back along this secondary road to the main road. But, as Malcolm was turning the van around, we noticed some workers drive by in a truck; they gestured to us to follow them – and showed us a way along dirt/sand roads AROUND the checkpoint!! Once they showed us the way, off we went, and continued on without further interruption back to the main road and on down the coast.

Our next destination was another Red Sea resort town, a place called Hurghada. It’s one of Egypt’s largest and best-known resorts, and caters mainly to foreign tourists on package tours. It’s not a very attractive place; developers have been ruining and are continuing to destroy the coral reefs along the coast, by building large and often astoundingly garish hotel complexes beside and out into the Red Sea. Notwithstanding the fact that Hurghada isn’t really our idea of a good vacation spot, we decided that we’d like to try a day snorkeling along the coral reefs, and it’s in Hurghada where one finds the tours which provide this. So, after we arrived in Hurghada, and looked around a little, we found a travel agent where we booked a snorkeling trip for the next day. Then, by way of preparation, we visited Hurghada’s aquarium, where we saw numerous varieties of fish and other ocean life common to the Red Sea.

That night, we had supper at a marvelous restaurant, a branch of our favourite Cairo restaurant, a place called Felfela. Hurghada’s Felfela is built terraced up a small cliff overlooking the Red Sea; and with lots of outdoor tables, the ocean views are marvelous and the food was great.

The next day we had a lovely time on our snorkeling trip. We traveled to three different ocean spots by boat, spending several hours paddling about, marveling at the varieties of coral and fish. Our visit to the aquarium the day before had been an excellent preview of what we would see while we snorkeled: fish of a whole range of sizes, coloured in the most amazing yellows, blues, greens, pinks, reds, stripes, dots. An additional benefit of this trip was its price – for the very low cost of 40 Egyptian pounds (about $15.00) each, not only did we have hours of snorkeling, but lunch and equipment were provided as well. All in all, most definitely a truly memorable part of our Egyptian adventure!

The following day we headed south along the coast from Hurghada, having spent the previous two nights camping in the desert a few kilometres from the town – and, unfortunately, getting the van briefly stuck in some sand on the second night (seems like none of our desert trips is complete without this ritual). Except for a short stop to look around in a small coastal town called Al Queseir, we were primarily interested in simply driving along the coast as far south as we could. For much of the day, our trip kept us quite close to the ocean, which was a treat. I’ve often assumed that travel posters which illustrate tropical island paradises with lovely, impossibly blue oceans had had their colours enhanced. This trip along the Red Sea coast made me realize that some of these impossible colours are indeed possible. Here the ocean is simply amazing, with the water gleaming turquoise, azure, aquamarine and every colour in between – and all at the same time!!

We decided to head inland (west) at a town called Marsa Alam, where a) we believed (based on our travel books) we’d gone as far south as we could, and b) the last major Egyptian road west from the Red Sea can be found (although based on our experience with Egyptian maps, you never can tell…). Within a few kilometres of leaving the coast, the terrain became hilly, then quite mountainous and scenic. Along this road we found what seemed to be a fairly remote spot and set up camp for the night.

The next morning we headed on west, our goal being to link up with the main north-south road along the Nile at a town called Edfu. Our plan was to head north from Edfu to Luxor and points north. Based on our previous experience with traveling along the Nile in Upper Egypt (when we were diverted onto the Nile road during our trip to the Western Desert oases), I was fairly certain that when we reached the Nile road, a checkpoint and police escort would be awaiting us. So imagine my surprise (and delight) when we arrived at the Nile road and were able to turn right (north) without a checkpoint or police escort in sight. We continued merrily north, stopping to visit an archaeological site called Al Kab (where there are the remains of a town, some cliff tombs and a few small, ruined temples), where we were the only foreign tourists. Unfortunately, shortly after we left Al Kab, our solitary travel ended when we encountered a police checkpoint. We were asked (told) to stop, to wait for a convoy of tourists (i.e., a group of tourist vehicles accompanied by military vehicles) that would be coming from Aswan (south of us) and headed for Luxor, with whom we would join up. We were reassured that our wait would be brief, 5-10 minutes … an hour later, the convoy arrived, and off we went to Luxor.

Before hunting for a place to stay in Luxor, we decided to make the best of what remained of the day and go sight-seeing. As we’d been to Luxor before (during our decadent, five-star Nile cruise in January), we’d already visited numerous of Luxor’s big-name sights, but also knew there was plenty more to see. I was interested in three: Medinet Habu ( http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Egyptology/gate.html & http://www.kv5.com/html/data_habu.html ), the Ramesseum ( http://touregypt.net/ramseum.htm & http://www.kv5.com/html/data_ramesseum.html ), and the Tombs of the Nobles ( http://www.tut62.net/noblestombs.htm ). We settled on Medinet Habu for the afternoon, and spent a pleasant, leisurely couple of hours touring the site’s impressive temple and surrounding ruins. One of the drawbacks of our last visit to Luxor was that, as part of a tour, our time at each sight we visited was strictly limited and monitored by our guide – and was never enough for me. Now we were able to explore more or less at our leisure.

After Medinet Habu, we went to look for a place to stay in Luxor. We had already investigated accommodation possibilities for Luxor, and knew of a couple of campgrounds there. We managed to find only one of these, which turned out to be acceptable, though a bit noisy (what with barking dogs, crowing roosters, cackling chickens and a nearby mosque with its five-times-daily call to prayer). Its main advantage (in addition to showers) was its location within the town of Luxor itself. So, once we were settled at our campsite, we went out for a stroll and to find a place to eat. I was able to borrow a 6mm Allen wrench to tighten up a coolant pipe as it was leaking a few drops when cold (not once it warmed up. That was the ONLY vanagon trouble that we had on this trip.

The stroll turned out to be somewhat less leisurely, but more instructive, than I anticipated. In addition to seeing additional Luxor sights, we hoped, within our two- or three-day stay in the area, to visit two other archaeological sights not too far from Luxor: the temples of Abydos and Dendara. While on our evening stroll, we decided to stop at Luxor’s Tourist Authority to find out about possible tours to these two places, since they seemed a little off the beaten track. It was with mixed emotions that we discovered that the only way to get to these places was to join one of the three-times-a-day police convoys especially set up for this purpose. Feeling somewhat disgruntled by this state of affairs, we nevertheless realized it was the convoy or no trip. So, we made plans to join the next day’s 8 a.m. convoy to Abydos and Dendara.

A few words about convoy travel itself is in order here. These convoys were initiated (I believe) in the early ‘90s in response to threats and attacks by Islamist terrorists, as a way to “protect” tourists. This form of “protection” has become particularly intense since the 1997 massacre of tourists at Luxor. The Luxor convoys operate as follows: anyone wishing to travel along the Nile either joins a tour and travels by bus, hires a taxi, or has their own vehicle. All such vehicles congregate at a designated spot in Luxor, for travel at a designated time. Our convoy was quite impressive: perhaps 30-40 vehicles, including massive tour buses, minibuses, a few hired taxis and cars, and one burgundy 1991 Volkswagen camper van. At a signal from the police (who are milling about on foot and in two or three of their own vehicles), the convoy moved out – wagons ho! …). Then the fun began. Once outside Luxor’s town limits, the main preoccupation of the police seemed to be to exhort the vehicles in the convoy to drive as fast as possible. The stated speed limit of 90 kph was of no consequence as 30-40 tourist vehicles hurtled down the Nile road at over 110 kph, weaving and dodging around donkey carts, goats, sheep, pedestrians, cattle, and the occasional oncoming auto driving along on the wrong side of the road. That is, all but one vehicle …which after the first 10 kilometers ALL of the other vehicles had passed and the burgundy campervan stubbornly and proudly brought up the rear, ambling along at 95-100 kph, ever-resistant to police threats and cajoling to “hush” (“move along” – rhymes with “bush”). Moreover, the police were “hushing” us from a position of about one metre behind us, and to the left – i.e., they occupied half of the oncoming lane, just to make sure no-one outside the convoy could pass, while forcing oncoming traffic off the road. All of this on a narrow 2 lane with minimal shoulders.

In addition to the fact that herding we tourists together into a well-defined group at well-advertised times and pushing us along the Nile did very little to make me feel secure from a terrorist threat, the alarming speed and chaotic travel conditions contributed to a rather nerve-wracking, three-hour drive to our first destination, Abydos. However, Abydos, our first stop, was worth every minute of the hair-raising trip. Here is found the loveliest temple I’ve seen in Egypt. It’s distinctive for two reasons: a) the temple itself is nearly complete, with its roof and columns intact, unlike many of even the grandest temple ruins like those at Karnak and Luxor; b) the interior walls of the temple are filled with exquisite, finely-detailed, beautifully and delicately coloured reliefs. I wandered about the place for about an hour and a half, completely entranced. Here it was possible to imagine the grandeur of pharaonic ceremonial of so many thousands of years ago.

After tearing ourselves away from Abydos (the police in our convoy told us it was time to go), we headed for Dendara. Here, too, is a marvelous, nearly-complete temple, surrounded by the ruins of various smaller temples and also an early church. I found Dendara a bit gloomy and dark, with the shadowy figures of bats (and their squeaking) somewhat unnerving. Nevertheless, it, too, was a most interesting place where we wandered about for a couple of hours. Then, as promised, we were returned to Luxor in our convoy by about 5:30.

We decided to stay another night at the Luxor campground, because there were still two places we planned to visit, both on Luxor’s famous West Bank. So off we went the next morning to the Ramesseum, the ruined temple complex which Ramses II had built to his own greatness. Here lies the broken, colossal statue of Ramses II ( part of the top half) which inspired Shelley in his poem “Ozymandias”. The whole place really is a marvelous ruin, definitely a reminder of the saying “how the mighty have fallen”…. Our final stop on the West Bank were the Tombs of the Nobles, right across the road from the Ramesseum. I was interested in visiting these tombs, because, unlike the more religiously-oriented tombs in the Valleys of the Kings and Queens, the Tombs of the Nobles contain wall and ceiling paintings illustrating scenes from Egyptian daily life. There are numerous of these tombs open to the public, and we managed to visit ten of them. I found the scenes – which depicted such activities as hunting, fishing, harvesting crops, pressing grapes, cutting hair, circumcising, playing music as well as the offering of food and gifts to the gods – quite delightful, many of them still retaining their vivid and varied colours.

We departed the West Bank and returned to Luxor to join another, early-afternoon convoy, which traveled from Luxor to Hurghada. We weren’t particularly pleased to be doing this; however, when we had originally learned about the convoy system a couple of days earlier, we also learned that, in order to travel along the Nile from Luxor to Cairo (our original plan), we would have to pay 400 Egyptian pounds (about $150) for a “special” police convoy – since there were no regularly-scheduled police convoys which traveled that route. Needless to say, and especially given our recent experience of traveling in a convoy, we rejected the idea of paying for the privilege, and decided to retrace our travel steps to Hurghada (on a slightly different route) via one of the regular convoys.

We arrived at the designated convoy starting point a little early, and basically hung around, trying to stay cool – because by this time, 1-2 p.m., Luxor was HOT. According to our van thermometer, the outside temperature was 44 C (111 F), and the temperature inside the van was 48 C (118 F)!! For this Canadian, even a dry heat is a little uncomfortable at these temperatures. Once we were on our way, however, the temperature did “cool off” to 40, then into the 30s as we headed east toward the coast. Happily, the van and its recently-repaired cooling system performed magnificently in the scorching heat.

Once we were well away from the Nile and headed for Hurghada, the convoy regime “loosened up” a bit – no more “hushing” at us, for example. And once we reached the Red Sea coast, joining the road there at a town called Port Safaga, the convoy dissolved and we were on our own again. We spent one more night at our camp spot outside of Hurghada, and enjoyed another delicious, scenic meal at Felfela’s there.

The next, our last, day of the trip was relatively uneventful, during which we made the long drive from Hurghada back to Cairo. We decided to vary our return route a bit by turning inland (west, from the Red Sea coast) on a different, more southerly, road than the one we had first taken from Cairo. We arrived at the junction of the coast road and the road we wanted to take and encountered, not surprisingly, a police checkpoint. Here we were told by the police that it was “not possible” to get to Cairo by this route. At this point in the trip we were getting a little tired of being told by police what we couldn’t do, or what wasn’t possible; so, we decided to be a bit resistant, and asked “why?” Generally speaking, this can be a rather frustrating question to ask in Egypt, because it’s often answered with a non-answer: a shrug or a look of puzzlement for even asking the question. In this case, we were given two different answers: a) because the road we wanted went to Giza (and somehow, by implication, not to Cairo); and b) because the road we wanted was “very bad” for 25 kilometres of its (over 100 km.) length. Answer (a) didn’t make much sense to us, because Giza is a suburb of Cairo; and we were both feeling bloody-minded enough to ignore answer (b) by assuring the police that our van could handle bad road (which it generally can). This time our persistence paid off and the police reluctantly let us take the road we wanted. As we headed back to Cairo along this road congratulating ourselves for persisting, Malcolm looked down and noticed that the odometer had stopped rotating!! We were sure glad that Pat had not mused about cracked pistons!!!! (back in Cairo I took the odometer apart and put the central pin back in – works fine now).

We were, shall I say, misinformed about the quality of the road – it was just fine, and took us, after a couple of hours, to the Nile road about 100 kilometres south of Cairo. From there it was a fairly straightforward, though chaotic (the road being very busy with cars, donkeys, pedestrians and even a few goats) trip back to our apartment. Another of our Cairo adventures completed, with one final major trip – to the Western Desert oasis of Siwa. We hope to get that posted in a few days!