Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 May 2001 09:45:29 -0500
From:         CHRIS STANN <cstann3@home.com>
Subject:      Re: Is a Porsche 911 engine too powerful for a Vanagon and/or
              Syncro             Drivetrain?
Comments: To: '80 Westy Pokey <pokey@vanagon.org>

This has been done before. I recall seeing a screamin' yellow Vanagon Syncro with a Porsche motor conversion in one of the VW Magazines.

Most transmissions are rated for torque capacity. Although the Porsche 2.7 has more torque than your 2.0 Type IV, the torque comes on higher in the power band. In my opinion, unless you like tire-smoking take-offs, your transmission should handle the extra power.

I considered buying a clean '82 Westy just to put a Porsche motor in it. I passed on it since I still would have no A/C, an important accessory in the wonderful Alabama climate.

There's nothing like the song of a Porsche flat-6 screaming at 6000 RPM! And you will have to rev it high to get the power out of it. As a wonderful benefit, should you keep the stock 4-speed, you will be in the meat of the power band at about, say, 90 MPH in fourth gear. Then you floor it and pass all the Vana-barus! Revenge is upon us!

Chris '85 Westy, and a Porsche lover.

----- Original Message ----- From: '80 Westy Pokey <pokey@vanagon.org> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 6:16 PM Subject: Is a Porsche 911 engine too powerful for a Vanagon and/or Syncro Drivetrain?