Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 May 2001 11:12:25 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>
Subject:      Re: Blinking coolant light, again
Comments: To: "Spooner, Robert E." <bob.spooner@middletownpower.com>

At 07:47 AM 5/8/2001, Spooner, Robert E. wrote: >My coolant light is blinking again. This time, I have confirmed that there >is plenty of coolant. The temperature is in the correct range. Is there >another input besides level and temperature that would initiate the blinker? >I seem to recall someone mentioning that if your coolant solution wasn't >correct (i.e.: too much water), the light would blink.

If the coolant doesn't conduct electricity well enough the light will blink. If you unplug the connector and short across the connector terminals then start the engine, and the light keeps on blinking, then either you have an open wire or the gauge is bad or the control module is bad. If you unplug the control module (a chore, it's buried up under the dash, at least on the 1.9l -- has #43 stamped on the top) and the light still blinks then it's the gauge. Fixable but a real pain, easier for most people to swap the gauge.

Final note -- if you can see the controller through the instrument panel opening -- *if* it's distinctly taller than wide, it will peg the gauge as it makes the light blink. If it's roughly cubical then it won't.

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"