Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 May 2001 11:04:12 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Thermostat Replacement (1.9 L)
Comments: To: onanov@mindspring.com

In a message dated 5/13/2001 11:09:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time, onanov@mindspring.com writes:

> How difficult is it to remove the entire water pump?

One good wack with a hammer should get it out. But beware:

Here's my experience with changing the thermostat on the 1.9. Some say they have been able to remove the lower thermostat housing by loosening the two small bolts and letting the lower housing drop out or snake it out a bit. Then take ou the thermost and put in the new being careful not to over torque the nut on reinstallation.

However my experience was there was NO WAY that lower thermostat housing was going to clear the exhaust manifold. So I oculd either remove the exhaust manifold or take the whole housing (upper and lower thermostat housing) off the water pump.

The two bolts connecting the upper housing to the water pump were frozen into the pump--and still are. The pump is in some trash heap somewhere.

To make a long story short the bolt had been epoxyed or fuses in some way inside the sleeve of the upper thermostat housing--hence the Upper thermostat housing (UTH from now on) is still connected to the water pump. Trying several clever and then several primative ways to separate the two ruined both.

The UTH is a VW dealer only part and lists for $250. No lie. So treat yours gently. The water pump from the VW dealer is about $120, but list vendors have them for about $50 if you go that way. But list vendors can't really discount the UTH much. I think Ken may offer them for $225, so there is a bit of savings. But still...

As for taking out the whole unit and replacing it, the answer from me is I dunno. I don;t know if you can reinstall a waterpump and have it work trouble free. Hopefully someone else can steer you right there. My feeling would be if you have it out why not replace it. I'll tell you why, it's expensive. OK, there is that, but still...

Oh, and should you get the UTH off the waterpump DON'T try to take off the flange that hooks to the rubber hose that goes to the head. Those bolts holding the flange will surely break. I mean you can pull the thing out of the rubber hose but don't try to separate the metal parts i.e the aluminum UTH from the steel flange--if it is steel or whatever.

Oh and when reinstalling the water pump and UTH don't over torque the bolts Use a torque wrench and follow the torque specs in Bently.

That's my 2 cents in and effort to save you 25,000 cents.

Good luck, Jeff 83.5 Westy