Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 May 2001 09:28:51 -0600
From:         John Brush <jbrush@aros.net>
Subject:      Re: Towing!!!
Comments: To: Steve Shane <shane_steve@hotmail.com>

> > Mr. Goat Island asked about towing with his 86. Mr. Goat, if you search the > archives you will find an abundance of info on this topic, but here is the > sum up.

Steve, you are one of a few who have actually towed anything, so your comments are needed and can now be found in the archives. If we do a search for 'towing' we find the hitch you are talking about (is it Dennis Haynes) and a lot of folks' opinions. Very little from those who have actually towed something. I hope we can add to that data.

I only bring this up because I have asked more than my share of times about towing and only got mostly opinions and theories, so I have continued soliciting input from those with real experience. That way the helpful facts also get into the archive.

To "Mr Goat Island?" I can say that I finally just bought a trailer and found out for myself. The camper weighs 840 lbs empty, and there was equipment for three, most of it inside the van. Unfortunately, my setup is different in that my van is an 81 air cooled with about 200K on her. It gets around pretty well, but does not care for long, steep climbs out here in the Rockies, so I am limited and have to use my car to go on longer, and higher trips. On fairly flat roads (whatever that means) I don't think I have much of a problem, beyond the long term wear and tear on the motor and the brakes. My children and I love the van, so if I do in the motor, I guess I will have to replace it, but that is still less than buying something else, and I want to use the van.

Like Steve said, stopping is the part to be concerned about. A vanagon can pull most anything, but stopping is an adventure. Leave lots of room ahead of you. If the trailer exceeds 1000 lbs, I would definetely make sure it had its own brakes. Make sure your total package doesn't exceed the GVW for the van.

Me, I won't stress my motor by trying the steepest passes, but for the most part, it does the job. My hitch is one I found in the scrap yard that bolts to the eyelets. Many, many folks warn that this can be a problem, and its easy to see why. The hitch I found also bolts right to the bumper, just above the hitch ball, which might give me a chance to salvage the rig if one of the eyelets fails :-) If you can, you should check into Dennis? Haynes and his hitch. Its a nice receiever and will serve you well no matter what you put back there.

That said, I cannot imagine you would have too much trouble hauling a small utility trailer with a few bikes on it. My plan for hauling is that if it will fit inside the van, that is where it should be, and keep the trailer as light as possible.

HTH a little,

John