Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 May 2001 11:53:25 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@usa.dupont.com>
Subject:      Battery Under Rear Seat Install

I put a second Group 41 battery under my rear seat of my '85 camper. I ran both + and - leads right to the starter using 1AWG for the positive and 2 AWG for the ground. I drilled two holes through the body just to the left of the rear heater box. The positive cable was 31" long and worked out perfectly. The ground cable was 36". I put the battery in a plastic battery box that I picked up at Pep Boys. Everything including the box and cables was less than $40. (I already had the battery.) I left the other battery under the front seat, so I have two Group 41 batteries hooked together at the starter stud connection--the factory battery to starter wire is still in place. Cranking speed is noticeably better. Future plans will include installing a disconnect on the rear seat battery, which would prevent it from being run down while camping. For now, I wanted to see what the effect would be on cranking speed.

Jay '85 Westy (The Hindenburg)