Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 May 2001 10:25:26 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@ubc.ca>
Subject:      How to get top half of main bearing out?  (AARRGH!!)
Comments: To: Audi-VW-Diesels@egroups.com, VW Diesel list <diesel@vwfans.com>

Hi,

I'm trying to replace the main and rod bearings in my 1.6L diesel-powered Vanagon. The engine is in the car, oil pan off, oil pump out.

I have been able to pull the old rod bearings, since I can lift the piston up slightly to sneak the upper half of the bearing out and around the crankshaft.

The main bearings are proving to be a bit of a problem, though.

On removing the main bearing cap, I can see either end of the upper half of the bearing. I can push on the end of the bearing (the end without the tab, of course), and with gentle to moderate tapping, the bearing shell will rotate around, on its way out. After the shell has rotated maybe 20 degrees, though, the thin blade I'm using to push the bearing can't make the curve around anymore--the blade touches the crankshaft on one side, and the tip of the blade hits the outside curve on the block. I can't "pull" the bearing out the other side yet, as there is nothing to gain a purchase on, and it's still in there pretty firmly. There's maybe 3/4" of the bearing--perhaps 1/4 of the piece-- showing now.

So what's the trick? I'm petrified of scratching the crankshaft. I don't even want to touch the thing, let alone risk smacking a blade against it, or risk a screwdriver slipping and gouging it. How can I persuade the bearing half out? Is there a tool available for this, or one I jury-rig up?

Oh, this is the first bearing I've tried on this engine. I haven't touched the other main bearings, nor even loosened the caps for them. Would backing off the other caps help? I was planning on doing the bearings one at a time, but would doing them all simultaneously be a better approach?

In case you can't tell, this is my first time working on engine internals. I may be being overly cautious, but my over-riding concern is not to screw anything up.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

T. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada 49deg 23'N-123deg 19'W

'82 Westfalia 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |_L| |__|:| clatter SPEED KILLS! {. .| clatter! Drive a Vanagon diesel ~-()-==----()-~