Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 May 2001 23:44:37 -0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Calibrate Speedometer

Thanks to some good advice I got, I was able to re-calibrate my speedometer, after taking it apart to fix the odometer.

Robert and John both suggested using a drill to turn the shaft. I had been thinking about finding something that turned at a known speed, and using the 805 revs per mile printed on the speedometer to determine a ratio, but John suggested using the time it takes to turn one mile on the odometer.

I built a jig to hold a reversing variable-speed drill, an old flex-shaft with a square end, and the speedometer. Turns out that the drill had to be turning counter-clockwise to make the speedometer work.

A piece of speedometer cable would have been easier to use, but I didn't have one. If I do this again, though I think I would try an appropriately sized square-drive bit chucked in the drill.

Then I used a c-clamp and some pieces of wood to push the trigger on the drill so I could regulate the speed. After a few tries, I found a drill speed that was turning the odometer at 1 mile per minute, 60 miles per hour.

Then I looked through the hole in the faceplate around the speedometer shaft and noted where the slot in the collar that held the fine coil spring was pointing.

I pulled the needle off, (I think you need it there for the weight to make the spring respond correctly), made an l-hook out of some fine copper wire, and moved the spring so the slot in the collar was pointing where it belonged. That took a few tries to get it right. Then I put the speedometer needle back on, tested it on the workbench, and reinstalled it in the van.

I took a test drive, and based on the mileposts around here I'm still going a mile a minute when the needle reads 60, so I'm happy.