Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 May 2001 08:53:53 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@aol.com
Subject:      Vanagon Rites of Spring (Fuel Lines, Pop Top Seals, Etc.)

Well it is that time of year again. The weather is looking good, you are starting to try on your shorts again, and now you are ready to do the work on your van that you have been putting off all winter. You know it is Spring when we start to see postings about fuel line replacements and Pop Top Seal replacements. Ah the joy of it!

I myself have just done a Pop Top Seal replacement using the Seal Kits that I sell for $79.95. It comes with all the seals for the pop top and luggage rack as well as instructions (well done) and Loctite glue. Only extra tools I would recommend are a paint scraper, some scotch brite scrubbing pads (clean off old junk left behind by pop top seals), a razor knife, and some soap and water. The last pop top seal I removed the Previous Owner had decided not to replace it and just gunked on the old seal with a ton of glue. This is a very bad idea because it made replacing the seal 5 times harder than it would have normally been! Also the seal had degraded to the point where the front luggage rack was rubbing against the roof and had actually rubbed a bare spot in the paint! Under the front luggage rack there was about 14 years worth of tree dirt and leaves, wasp nests, etc. You will never be sorry about doing this Pop-Top Seal right the first time. It makes the camper look better, and also helps the whole van to last longer and retain it's value. Put this on your "To-Do" list for this Spring.

Second Rite of Spring is Fuel Line replacement. Your van is getting old (in case you hadn't noticed). My '91 Carat Vanagon is now 10 years old. Do you really think that your fuel lines should be expected to last 15-20 years without leakage? Do you think that the clamps in the system aren't already so shot that if you touch them with your finger they aren't going to just crumble to dust (happens here in the rust belt area alot)? Do you think doing a half-way job with braided hose and plumbing clamps from Home Depot is a good idea (seen this many times)? If you are going to do this, do it right. The kit I sell comes with High Pressure Continental 7mm hose (says "Made in Germany" on it), and 20 stainless Swedish clamps, and instructions. There just isn't any better hose or clamps out there or I would have them and put them in my kit. The hose is what VW put on there in the first place. The clamps are what BMW uses on thier cars. Take a couple of hours and this kit and get some peace of mind about your fuel lines.

Pick a nice day, get outside in the fresh air, and enjoy the Vanagon Rites of Spring. You will thank me later.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-765-1583 Fax: (856)-327-2242

[text/html]