Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 May 2001 15:56:12 -0400
From:         joseph Trussell <joetruss@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Hello all!  Clutch problem!

Howdy folks, I just wanted to start by saying hello to the list. I was on it for a good part of last year, up until August. I have an '85 GL name Bessie, and last summer I left Denver for seven weeks of driving--headed down through Texas into Louisiana, back out to New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming. We had a great trip, met tons of people, saw many Vanagons of all shapes and styles on the road, made many new friends, and actually saw a few Vanagon.com stickers just like mine! I even had a kid offer me $1000 and an old Honda Civic for mine...I respectfu While the trip was successful (except for a slight overheating in Dallas on 635--it was 107 degrees out there,) it took a lot out of me and I stored Bessie in favor of an '87 Scirocco 16v over the winter. I recently sold the Scirocco and am back with my vanagon. I've replaced the CV joints and shocks and tuned her up, and everything seems to be a go, except (there is ALWAYS and exception) a clutch problem: When I start it up, if I have the clutch in, it lurches like it's still in gear. I have to rev it and wait a few seconds before it will slide into fourth, then third, then it'll go into gear. Sometimes it grinds as well when I try to put it in gear. Once I'm going, it shifts fine except a clunk occasionally when I go from first to second. Is this a hydraulic problem? Do I have a bad clutch m. cylinder? I haven't been able to find any leaks anywhere to this point. What should I change first? I realize that these are broad questions. Any help would be appreciated! I'm taking off for Santa Fe from Denver in a few weeks, then heading up through the mountains to Telluride (four passes I think?) then back to Denver (four or five more passes) so I want her to be running like a champ when I take off.

Thanks again, Joe T. '85 GL 'bessie'