Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 May 2001 14:50:12 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@usa.dupont.com>
Subject:      Re: Corvair and Porsche 914 Engines (Was: Towing!!!)
Comments: To: Aristotle Sagan <killer_jupiter@hotmail.com>

There are tons of Corvair parts around, cheap. The bus kits I saw used the entire Corvair drivetrain. Adapters were supplied to go from the Corvair diff, which used u-joints, to the VW axles, which used CV joints. The kit was these adapters, plus the engine mounts and assorted adapters for the shifter and clutch hook-ups. You can still find running Corvairs for dirt because they rusted out pretty quickly. The engines were well preserved because they were usually covered with oil! Too bad GM didn't have Viton o-rings back in the 60's. I still have a nice '65 Corsa convertible 140 HP, with 4 speed and 4 carbs stored in my garage. Starts everytime and simple to work on. The convertible is the last of about 6 or 7 my family has owned over the last 25 years. Jay

Aristotle Sagan <killer_jupiter@hotmail.com> on 05/16/2001 02:05:35 PM

Please respond to Aristotle Sagan <killer_jupiter@hotmail.com>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: (bcc: Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont) Subject: Re: Corvair and Porsche 914 Engines (Was: Towing!!!)