Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 May 2001 22:06:09 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@earthlink.net>
Subject:      Long trip, short report

I recently returned from a 3 week, 2,900 mile trip in my '90 Westy, from my home in Arizona, up through Utah and Idaho to Missoula MT. It was great to be on the road again, take some back roads and visit family and friends and their great dogs, black Labs and Spinonis. What! You've never heard of this great Italian hunting dog? Visit www.onlyspinoni.com, but be prepared to spend 3 times the cost of a good Lab.

In the 2,900 miles, I averaged 21.5 mpg, with the best being 23.95 and the worst, 19.39. The lowest price per gallon was $1.489 and the highest, $1.829. I used mostly Texaco and Chevron, with some Exxon when they weren't available. The lowest grade unleaded 87 octane except some areas where the lowest was 85 octane, so I used midgrade at 88.

Montana was cool, green and wet, at least for now. While in Missoula, I had the clutch on my '90 Westy (132K miles) replaced at Mountain Imports. Not a dealer, service only, but they seemed to know their stuff, especially Ray, the owner. I had good reports on them and they also maintain my brother's '85 Audi. They seem to do a lot of business, including a lot of Vanagons. Even though Missoula is a university town, where you expect lots of VW vans, I think I saw more Vanagons there than any place I've been.

Some other trip high points. NO van problems, the clutch job was pre-emptive maintenance. Highways 89 and 89A up through Arizona and Utah. Hwy 12, the Lewis and Clark Highway, from Kooskia, Idaho over Lolo Pass (snowing) into the Bitterroot Valley of Montana, a beautiful drive through thick cedar forest along the Lochsa River, a wild and scenic river corridor. On my way home, I drove Hwy 93 back down through the Bitterrroot Valley through Hamilton and Darby, areas that were heavily affected by last summer's forest fires. They are looking at another very dry year and bad fire season.

In Missoula, I got an excellent deal, from a friend, on a year and a half old Gateway PC, Pentium III, 20 gig hard drive, 128meg RAM and 19" monitor. Now I can install the ETKA parts CD which came in the mail while I was gone. Thanks to Frank Condelli in Canada.

In Salt Lake City, I met with some of the local Vanagon owners, who had their first get-together in a local park. Thanks, Blake Thornton, for putting it together. I got away from the meeting a little after 1:00 PM and headed for Zion N.P., a little over 300 miles south. In the 3 minutes from the entrance to the campground, the last spaces were taken. It was only going to be an overnight stop anyway, so I had dinner in one of the picnic areas and drove east out of the park in the light of the full moon. Very scenic. I've been there several times, but this was a different view. I found a nice BLM campground miles south, near Kanab UT. Very quiet, only one other site occupied. This was probably unusual because it was right near Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park, a popular OHV area. If you are planning to visit Zion N.P., one of the campgrounds is now reservations only and the other is first-come basis, but what I call parking lot camping, close together and little privacy. Zion Canyon is now closed to private vehicles. They have a new shuttle-bus system, but they run very frequently and stop everywhere, including the town of Springdale, just outside the park. If you want to camp in the park, get there early or be there during the week.

Some of the low points of the trip: I15 in and around Salt Lake. Construction everywhere in preparation for the Olympics. A number of dead deer and elk, hit by vehicles, along some of the highways in Utah and Arizona.

It was a good trip, but it was nice to see the snow-capped San Francisco Peaks near Flagstaff, meaning I was almost home, 50 miles to the south.

Well, it was longer than expected. Hope someone enjoys it.

Jerry