Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 May 2001 19:49:17 -0500
From:         Holly and Chris Mills <scmills@tntech.edu>
Subject:      Re: driving legal

Did many times for long periods - mostly motorcycles. (Year at a time). you learn to ride real smooth and slow.

Also spent 3 years in Italy where we always had a few unregistered cars on the road. That's life with $14K a year Navy pay.

We had to keep our cars inspected and if our current car wouldn't pass we'd borrow a similar car and get inspected with our information and plates on the car.We'd kind of hurry along the process when the guy got ready to read the VIN number. I think he knew we were up to something and wouldn't pay much attention. Thank God he was a local and not military.

Understand our car was usually poor due to mismatched tires or broken lighting or something simple. The cars were seldom driven during these periods but we need the inspection to be current (and thus the registration) so we could have access to our monthly allotment of cheap gas ($1.50 a gallon in 1992). That gas would wind up in a friend's gas tank for driving us to work or whatever. Eventually the bank account would catch up with the fast aging our cars were suffering and we'd be legal - really legal. It was cheap compared to the local prices of about $4.75 a gallon! TAXES!

Before we left we even had a source for counterfeit insurance forms (filled out) for $25 a year. These we kept on dead cars we owned for the reasons listed above.

Geez - just forgot where we bought those.... <grin>

At 04:49 PM 5/17/01, you wrote: >Yeah, drove mine, registered but no inspection sticker, from September >2000 through March of this year. It needed a lot of front end work, (ball >joints, steering rack, stabilizer links) and some other things. Every time >I had the money the wife's "dependable" Japanese car would break down. >(Clutch, ignition module). That's the scenario that led to my van's name. > >Got away with it, but I know how you feel about not wincing every time you >see a cop. > >John Flaherty >Portland, Maine >'84 GL "insufficient Funds" >----- Original Message ----- >From: <mailto:sg@sunsetwinona.com>sg >To: <mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 2:07 PM >Subject: driving legal > >hey folks, > >ive finally gotten my westie legal(registered and title transfered), after >owning and driving it for nine months. feels amazing. i dont have to >wince or reflexively take my foot off the gas pedal every time i pass a >cop ... > >anybody else driven their vanagons somewhat less than legally for any long >length of time? anything come of it? > >-steve&buster

Chris in Mid-TN

ICQ# 5944649

1978 Volkswagen Westfalia 1965 VW Beetle with a Type IV power (perpetual project) 1999 Honda CR-V (wife's ride) 1981 Honda CB900 Custom moto-sickle FOR SALE $2250 several used felines (2 shiny black, one in primer) 1997 Wife named Holly 2000 model son named Zane

Use the contents of this message at your own risk. Reproduction is allowed if and only if you can verify the information contained within is correct. I want royalties though...

If you find that the information is flawed, in poor taste, incorrect, evidence of mental treatment required, or if the statement/question was just plain dumb - you don't know me...