Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 May 2001 22:50:53 -0600
From:         Steve Blackham <steph@uswest.net>
Subject:      Re: emission testing problems
Comments: cc: Geoff Wilke <gwilke@livemusic.org>

Take Mark Kellers advise. Look carefully at the fuel pressure regulator. Should be at 29#s at idle with vacumn hose on. I flunked my first test for high HC and a little high CO. I found a bad gasket in the exhaust manifold Y which corrupted the exhaust CO readings at the O 2 sensor with air leaking in. It made the O2 sensor think it was running lean so it would richen the mixture. Fixed that and replaced the O 2 sensor because I felt it was still reading towards the lean side. Failed another test this morning but the readings are a lot closer now (300 HC instead of 800 at idle, CO is now within specs at 1.01% was 1.5% before. 2500 rpm figures were within spec)(probably would have passed if my CAT had any thing in it, which it doesn't. Passed ok last year so, I know its possible with out a working cat). I have seen this before with one of my Jettas. High HC due to a injector peeing on a spark plug. Pulled all the injectors and they seemed to have long cone shaped spray patterns. The only thing I could find was that the fuel regulator was reading a little high at idle -- 31 to 33 #s. This makes sense if you think about it. The problem is only at idle, doesn't effect CO readings too much, just HC. This equates to a richer than spec mixture at idle only. Runs great though just can't get it through IM. Ordered a new fuel regulator from Autozone today. Should be in Saturday and was a few dollars less than BD.

Let me know what you find

Steve