Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 May 2001 09:18:26 -0400
From:         Jim Snyder <vanman@shentel.net>
Subject:      For sale: 1982 Vanagon diesel

I thought I would try this list before going to EBay. You folks have been very helpful since I purchased this vehicle more than two years ago.

For sale: 1982 Vanagon diesel

Located in Virginia in Shenandoah County

Best offer to a good home

127,000 original miles

Many new parts including:

Gabriel gas shocks

Toyo 100,000 mile all season radials

starter

glow plugs

fuel injectors

water pump

oil filler tube

exhaust system

Blauplunct stereo w/ 4 pioneer speakers

battery cables and battery

This is a California vehicle with absolutely no rust anywhere. It runs great but currently is not waiting for me to bleed the fuel system. There was just a little smoke when it starts and there also is some oil that blows out the oil filler tube at speeds over 65 mph. I avoid this by driving under 65 which I believe is the recommended top speed anyway. Eventually, I had planned to rebuild the head and lower end but I think the engine would be good for a few more years if maintained well and not abused. In California, I drove it 120 miles a day on I-5 to Colusa from near Sacramento.

I am the second owner and recently drove to Virginia from our home in the Sacramento area. I have little time for maintenance anymore as our baby was born in the last year and my wife needs something with air conditioning and more power to navigate the mountain roads around here. I am picking up a mint condition '94 Olds Silhouette this week as her primary transportation. The price was about half of what I would spent for a VW Synchro for the same year. However, I still would have rather had the Synchro!

As mentioned before, there is no rust anywhere. The underside looks incredible and there is not even the beginnings of any seam rust. The previous owner did scrape the rear wheel well on the passenger side slightly while pulling into a parking spot. I had the damage estimated at $300 at a local body shop. I can send digital pictures.

[text/html]