Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 May 2001 18:22:04 +0300
From:         Stebbins <stebbins@aucegypt.edu>
Subject:      Cairo Report:  Siwa oasis (long)

As is tradition now, here is my wife’s write-up of our most recent trip out into the Egyptian desert, with some editing on my part for more vanagon content. If you like maps and want to follow along try: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/Libs/PCL/Map_collection/africa/Egypt_rel97.jpg , you can see the location of Siwa (Siwah) on the upper left part of the map. Again if you would like to see our photos go to http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1304082 . The name of this “album” is Siwa Oasis Trip. FWIW about 30 of you reprimanded me for NOT posting the last trip report in full, I’m flattered. We hope you enjoy this report.

***********************************

Our last major trip in Egypt took us yet again into the desert – this time back to the Western Desert, to visit Siwa Oasis. This oasis differs from the Western Desert’s other oases for two reasons: a) it’s set off by itself, far to the west, about 50 kilometres from the Libyan border; and b) its indigenous population is Berber, whereas most of Egypt’s other indigenous peoples are Bedouin and Nubian. While Siwa has been quite remote, both culturally and geographically, from most of Egypt until quite recently (the asphalt road to Siwa was built only in the early 1980s), it’s becoming a popular destination for tourists. Nevertheless, we hoped to visit Siwa before it’s been irretrievably damaged by what passes for “tourist development” in Egypt.

We left on April 24 for our five-day trip (also our shortest major trip). Siwa is a long (!) way from Cairo – over 700 kilometres – so, rather than rush, we decided to take two days to get there. This plan also gave us an opportunity to stop and visit one or two places along the way. The route to Siwa is fairly straightforward: from Cairo we headed northwest along the Cairo-Alexandria desert road for a little over 100 kilometres, at which point we turned left onto another northwest-heading road that eventually arrived at the Mediterranean coast at the town of El-Alamein (more on this in a bit). From El-Alamein we headed west along the coast to the town of Marsa Matruh, where we spent the night. From there, it’s another 300 kilometres south-west, through flat, featureless desert, to Siwa.

There is another route to Siwa, only recently opened – a road that travels roughly 400 kilometres east from Siwa, through barren desert without a petrol station or rest house in sight, joining Siwa with the Western Desert oasis of Bahariya; from Bahariya one can then travel on to Cairo. We had contemplated traveling to Siwa in a “loop”, making use of the Mediterranean route to get to Siwa, and the Siwa-Bahariya route to return to Cairo. However, after having enquired with several people who’ve actually driven the latter route, we discovered that: a) the paperwork required to take the Siwa-Bahariya road (it requires police permission) is time-consuming and cumbersome; b) the road isn’t particularly interesting, and c) most significant for us, the quality of the Siwa-Bahariya road is so poor that one is virtually assured of having at least one, and maybe more, shredded tires along the way. So while the adventure, and the fact that we’d never traveled the Siwa-Bahariya road before, was appealing to us, we decided not to put the van through virtually certain difficulties for little or no special reason – heaven knows the poor vehicle has been unintentionally put through enough by us already! This is all a rather long-winded way of saying that we decided to take the Mediterranean route to and from Siwa.

Our first day consisted mainly of driving, with one memorable stop, at the town of El-Alamein. This is the site of the WWII Battle of El-Alamein, during which Rommel’s advancing army was stopped in North Africa by a collection of Commonwealth forces, led by Montgomery. I knew very little about this battle before coming to Egypt; a few months ago, however, while reading the “Levant Trilogy” I came upon a fictionalized account of the battle through one young British soldier’s eyes. In preparation for our stop here, I also read what our tour books had to say about the battle. At El-Alamein our main stop was a visit to the Commonwealth Cemetery: a large, well-kept place, filled with rows and rows of graves, their headstones identifying the young Commonwealth soldiers who died throughout the North African campaign. I found the experience of wandering through the cemetery to be a very moving reminder of the useless destructiveness of war, and the value of peace. In and around El-Alamein are also several separate monuments to soldiers who fought here: Greek, Australian, German and Italian. We briefly visited the German monument; however, since local police insisted upon escorting us the 500 metres or so into the monument, and hanging around while we visited, we decided against stopping at the other monuments, which we were at least able to see from the road.

From El-Alamein we carried along the Mediterranean coast road (though we actually saw little of the ocean itself, to my disappointment) to Marsa Matruh. As we drove I tried to imagine what the area must have been like during WWII: the open, subtly-featured expanses of this area along the coast covered with tanks and jeeps, shell explosions sending blinding sand and dust into the air, and the terrible, terrible casualties … Even today, in this now seemingly “normal”, “peaceful” landscape, the ground is filled with unexploded land mines. The mines are especially evident as one leaves Marsa Matruh for Siwa, where barbed-wire fences and English signs warn passers-by of the land mines buried beneath. Apropos of this, we recently read that Egypt has about 20% of the world’s land mines, which translates into something like 17 million land mines!!

Back to the present … we arrived at Marsa Matruh fairly late in the day, and began our customary search for a place to camp. One beach near the town – Rommel’s Beach, so called because the general spent some time there during the war -- looked promising. The police guards there told us that it was simply a matter of obtaining permission from the tourist police in Marsa Matruh, and it would be “no problem” for us to camp on the beach. No such luck … in Marsa Matruh the tourist police insisted that camping on the beach wasn’t possible. Instead, they offered to let us camp across the road from their office in a lousy parking lot!. While we were considering this, one of the officers also suggested that we enquire at one of the hotels in town, a place called “Beau Site”, where we might be allowed to camp. We decided to give the hotel a try.

After some twisting and winding through the town’s streets, we came to Beau Site. We discussed our situation with the pleasant young fellow behind the desk, who agreed without hesitation to let us camp in a driveway beside the hotel. While that may not sound very interesting, it turned out that the driveway opened out onto the hotel’s private sand beach – so, we had a clear (and very nice) view of the Mediterranean, which was perhaps 30 metres from the van! (see photos).

After quite a reasonable, quiet (and free) night in the hotel driveway, we left next morning for Siwa – with, not surprisingly, a truckload of police who escorted us from the hotel to the outskirts of Marsa Matruh. From then on, however, we were on our own. The 300 kilometre trip from Marsa Matruh is long and monotonous, through vast expanses of flat, hard desert, broken only by a short stop at a small rest house along the way. We had heard that the police were rather nervous about campers in and around Siwa, so we decided to explore the possibility of staying in a hotel for a couple of nights. We found a hotel that fit our requirements – cheap (15/18 Egyptian pounds a night, depending upon whether the room had a private shower) and “picturesque” (it had a pleasant, shady garden in the back) -- the Palm Trees Hotel, located in Siwa’s main community. We discovered soon after settling in there, however, that what the hotel also had was a lot of mosquitoes, many of which managed to find their way through the holes in the door and window screens. So I was able to add Siwa mosquito (and, I suspect, bedbug) bites to my alarmingly ever-growing catalogue of “bug bites I’ve received in Egypt”.

We spent two days exploring Siwa, its human settlements as well as its natural beauty. And Siwa really is quite a lovely oasis – rather, I think, what one’s image of an oasis “should” be, based on media representations of deserts and oases. It’s a very lush place, with thousands of palm and olive trees (its main agricultural crops) interspersed with numerous small villages, and, I was surprised to discover, several fairly large lakes, in addition to its many natural springs (the latter are typical of most oases in Egypt). One especially tranquil spot is Fatnas Island, a small island in one of the lakes, but connected to the mainland by a small causeway. It’s a popular place from which to watch the sunset, which means, of course, that the island’s peacefulness at that time is disrupted by lots of people, often with their radios and cell phones(!). We preferred our visit to the island earlier in the afternoon, when it really was a quiet, lovely spot.

Unfortunately, as the oasis is below sea level, Siwa’s water supply is actually quite salty; the saltiness is particularly evident along the lake edges, which are ringed with salt. The salt has historically been a problem for Siwa. In the past, people built their dwellings and other buildings out of local mud brick; in addition, they used large chunks of salt, available locally, as part of the building matrix. Most of the time, this particular construction method posed no problem to Siwans; however, on the infrequent occasions when it has rained heavily in the oasis, the rain has dissolved the salt chunks. Thus, many of Siwa’s old buildings have collapsed or are in ruins and are quite dangerous. This state of affairs is strikingly evident in the remains of Siwa’s old, almost completely abandoned, town and fortress, called Shali. At a distance, Shali looks as though it was made out of large pieces of cardboard which are disintegrating after having become wet. We wandered about through Shali’s ruins and could see the large chunks of salt throughout what remains of the town/fortress. Needless to say, modern construction methods no longer use salt blocks …

We took several excursions through the oasis, coming across interesting (and, as always, very(!) old) mud brick ruins of pharaonic and Alexandrian times, including villages, temples and rock-cut tombs, often set in the scenic landscape of palm trees, small mountains and lakes which covers the oasis. In ancient times, one of the temples here, the Temple of the Oracle, was the home of an oracle so important that Alexander the Great braved the desert (a 15-day trip by camel caravan) to seek out the oracle’s legitimation of his divine rule. Also, Cleopatra is reputed to have visited the area: one of the springs in Siwa is in fact known as “Cleopatra’s Bath”.

Alas, our pleasant meanderings were (only briefly, thank goodness) interrupted by … you guessed it, van trouble. It was on our return to our hotel from one of our excursions, along a back dirt "path", that I happened to glance over to the van’s instrument panel, and noticed that the needle on the engine heat-indicator gauge was much higher than it should be! I immediately mentioned this to Malcolm, who then also looked at the gauges; he noticed that the battery light was also ON. Malcolm stopped immediately. We both rushed to the rear of the van to find … coolant spewing out of the top of the secondary expansion tank, and the alternator/water-pump belt just lazing about on top of the engine! How could that be!!!! Both of our hearts sank.

We decided to go have a glass of juice while the engine cooled off so we could work on it. Upon our return, Malcolm saw the oil filler cap was lodged in under the water pump pulley (the van’s oil filler tube is not original equipment, but rather is a flexible radiator hose with a rubber "stopper" in the top). The cap had deep grooves in it from the pulley. Malcolm checked the water pump pulley and the alternator pulley; both seemed OK. After some discussion about it, Malcolm came to the conclusion that somehow the cap blew/jiggled off and became lodged in the pulley, heating up the belt, which then just squeezed itself off the pulley. We put the belt back on, lodged the oil filler cap in a better place and had no problems on our way home. What a freak incident!

While we had no trouble with the van for the remainder of the trip, I confess I kept an even closer eye than ever on the various indicator gauges on the dashboard. However, we did manage to relax a little, and after a couple of days traveling about Siwa, we headed back for Cairo. As we once again planned an overnight stay in Marsa Matruh, we decided to do a little exploring around the place, particularly as we’d read that west of the town were numerous very nice beaches. We arrived at Marsa Matruh, in the early afternoon, with plenty of time to find some beaches. After we got lost once or twice (as usual) and asked directions once or twice (also as usual), we did indeed find a couple of white-sand beaches. The second, called Agiba Beach, is spectacularly located in a tiny cove, surrounded by cliffs. We followed a small staircase down from the cliffs and spent a while walking along the tiny, perfect beach – well, it would have been perfect were it not for the litter: plastic bags and bottles, styrofoam containers and cups, and paper, scattered everywhere along the beach and floating in the water. While we’ve come to expect garbage and litter wherever we travel in Egypt, it still disappoints me greatly, particularly when such an idyllic spot has been spoiled.

Returning to Marsa Matruh, we tried our luck again at the Beau Site hotel, and were again cheerfully welcomed into the hotel’s driveway to camp for the night. We completed our long journey back to Cairo the next day.

As I look back on our various travels throughout Egypt, I realize that we’ve tried to make the best of our time here, and the holidays available to us. While Malcolm and I have sometimes wondered about the wisdom of bringing the van to Egypt, I’d have to say, in retrospect, that the van has provided us with many unforgettable opportunities to see an Egypt many travelers miss.