Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 May 2001 11:28:50 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>
Subject:      Re: The Wal Mart Camping Experience
Comments: To: Chris Smith <chris.smith@aquila.net>

At 10:02 AM 5/18/2001, Chris Smith wrote: >camping goes, I have parked in *many* strange places over the >years. Truck stops, Wal-Marts, back streets, rest stops, and industrial >parks have all been called home for the night. I have never had a major >safety concern, but I have been given the "bum's rush" a few times.

Right. That old flashlight on the window, and there are the city's finest, Wanting To Know. Usually around 0300.

>As far as safety goes, I lock doors at night, sleep light, and be ready to >move if I get spooked (it's happened *very* few times).

I've gotten rousted, but never spooked. I did get scared by a hitchhiker once 25 years ago. Nothing happened and no threat offered, he just seemed scary somehow. I also stop a good deal to help people beside the road, never had a bad experience. But a couple fellow sailors in Pensacola back in '70 did that and got mugged, and if my foggy memory is correct, the muggers went off with their car, leaving them with the broken one. Of course that may have been a sea story to escape the consequences of being late for duty; I knew the people but not the circumstances.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"