Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 May 2001 12:40:52 -0500
From:         Chris Stann <ChrisS@INFORMS.com>
Subject:      Re: Tires - how critical on non-Westy?
Comments: To: "Christopher T. Berchin" <ctb1@peoplepc.com>

Chris,

My Westy is the basic camper, i.e. no stove, kitchen sink, or fridge. The minimum tire recommendation by VW is a 'C' ply. The previous owner put some Michelin MX4 tires on the front with a max load rating of just over 1300 lbs. at 35 PSI. Although they too felt OK at the time, I didn't know the difference until I replaced my tires with Firehawk R4S, 27x8.5 14, 'C' ply, rated over 1500 lbs. at 50 psi. They were $67 each at www.tirerack.com. Man, what a difference! These big and meaty tires ride smoothly and handle nicely. The steering is much better. I run 50 psi in all the tires, all the time. I mounted them with the white letters facing out for that pseudo-Syncro look.

I would never consider mounting anything less than a 'C' ply on any Vanagon, Westy or not.

Chris,