Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 May 2001 22:05:36 EDT
From:         "Paul M. Hillbish" <Sersote@aol.com>
Subject:      The bumpy ride....

This is related to an 86 Jetta. (For those of you who don't want to hear about this)

About a week ago, I had a flat tire on my way to work. No biggy I thought, fill it up, plug the hole, I'm done. I drove about a 10th of a mile to the gas station, but it turned out that the air compressor there did not work. Crap. Okay, I have fix-a-flat in the trunk. So I fill the tire with that, fills up no problem. As I was driving though, I started getting an odd vibration in the steering wheel, and then the car started shaking. That day, I took it to a local garage/gas station near where I work, to get the tire plugged. They did that, I figured it'd do the trick. I asked about the vibration, and the guy told me that it is most likely because of the fix-a-flat, that there is liquid in my wheel. It sounded reasonable at the time, so I took his word for it. Days later, still happening. By then, all the liquid that was there, would be dissolved right? It is now over a week later. Here are the symptoms:

When I pull out, it is fine. The vibration starts the second I hit 40 MPH. Then it gets progressively worse as I speed up. It feels like it is coming from the tire that was flat (Front passenger side) but I'm not sure. The vibration is similar to that of a bad CV joint (I've had all 4 replaced recently) but without the telltale clicking. I am beginning to think that this is transmission related. It seems to do it when it kicks in to 4th gear. (It's an automatic GLI) It's getting really bad. The entire car shakes violently when it does this, and leaves a sick feeling in my stomach when I drive. I'm kind of scared, because this is my daily driver, and my only legal form of transportation. I'm getting mad, because it's a fast, and peppy little car. It's hard to obey the speed limit in her, and it is more than annoying to have to keep it under 40 MPH. Any help on the situation would be greatly appreciated. Sorry the post was so long. :) Thanks.

--Paul--

Van Content: My Van runs fine! I had to put more coolant in him a week ago. PITA working the funnel and the antifreeze, and the door at night when you are half drunk showing off the van to friends. There.