Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 May 2001 04:57:21 -0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Tires, Load Range and Pressure

Volks -

I think I have been giving the wrong advice about the proper load range for Vanagon tires.

I came to this conclusion a couple of weeks ago as I was driving to Seattle at 55 mph, breaking in a new engine. You seem to have more time for thought when the scenery is slipping by more slowly.

On the information panel on my '87 Westy, it lists two possible tire sizes 185R14 C, inflated to 43 psi front, 48 on the rear or 205/70R14 Reinforced 97, inflated to 36 front, 40 psi on the rear.

It's always bothered me that the only one of the two that specifies a load range is the 205. The 185 just says C (equivalent to the old "6 ply" rating). Why is that?

In a word, pressure. The load capacity of a tire is specified at maximum pressure. A 185R14 C tire with a maximum inflation pressure of 50 psi and the common load range of 93 (the Kirkland tires come to mind) can carry 1433 pounds at 50 psi. At 48 psi it can carry a bit less.

A 205/70R14 reinforced, also with a maximum pressure of 50 psi, can carry 1609 pounds - AT 50 PSI. At the VW spec of 40 psi, it will be a lot less. How much? According to one article I found, Ford said that dropping the pressure from 30 psi to 26 psi on the Explorer could reduce the capacity by 400 pounds (didn't say per tire or per vehicle). If it's per vehicle, that's 25 Lbs capacity per tire per pound of pressure. Ten psi would be 250 pounds per tire, so the 1609 capacity is now 1359. That's not an accurate figure, but it's probably in the ballpark.

So - I'm willing to bet that a load range 93 tire at 48 psi can handle the same load as a load range 97 tire at 40 psi, if they both have a max pressure of 50 psi.

The 185/14 Agilis, by the way, has a load range of 99 (1710 Lbs) but at a max pressure of 54 psi.

At least my advice has been erring on the side of caution, but after working this through, I'm a lot happier with all of the load range 93 tires people have been talking about.

As long as they keep them at least 48 psi on the rear.

So go check your tire pressure!

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, Idaho