Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 May 2001 11:57:45 -0300
From:         Larry Innes <linnes@innu.ca>
Subject:      trip report - Victoria BC to Labrador

Hey, all -

Thought I'd take a minute or three to relate a 10-day trip cross continent, should anyone be planning such an adventure in the future. I do this trip as a seasonal migration--as my family and I shift from coast to coast between work and school--but it would make a fine vacation, if one took a bit more time to smell the roses along the way. One thing for sure, this is the kind of trip that really makes one appreciate a Westy.

The crew: included myself, my spouse, our 1 y/o daughter, our 16 y/o nephew and my husky dog.

The vehicle: "Blu", your basic 87 Westy, with new heads installed and the auto transmission rebuilt just before heading out on the road. At 160K km, and with both the heads and the tranny starting to leak, I figured it was better to shell out at the outset than somewhere mid-trip, which w/ my luck would be 500 miles from anywhere. Glad that I did, because mechanically, everything seemed to perform perfectly on the trip. Blu was also saddled with two mtn bikes and a jogging stroller on the Paulchen rack.

I've owned Blu for a year now, and spent a lot of time doing work that the PO should have done...additions include a Sony deck and CD changer, Infinity speakers in place of stock, BFG All Terrain tires, PIAA driving lights on the front bumper, KYB shocks all round, brakes replaced, new fuel lines in the engine compartment, yadda, yadda. Still lots to do this summer, like replacing the rest of the rotten fuel hoses above the tank, do some preventative maintenence on the body (nothing like some salt air to get those seams showing!) and maybe, just maybe, upgrade to the H4 lights, chrome hubs in place of those plastic POS, and install an Optima battery under the driver's seat...

Day 1: Victoria - Chilliwack, BC: 126 km

Not a particularly adventurous start, but we didn't manage to pack up and roll out until 4 pm or so. We breezed through what passes for rush hour traffic between the our home and the ferry terminal at Schwartz Bay, and managed (somehow) to catch a 5 pm ferry to Vancouver.

For those of you not familiar w/ BC Ferries, this is an auspicious event! A general tip for ferry travel is to arrive 40 minutes or so before the sailing, and to make sure that you've got nothing on the luggage rack: Blu, my Westy, stands 6'8 exactly, and anything which might put me over this height would result in a hefty 'oversize' vehicle charge...my solution is to keep whatever I plan to put up there (on this trip, a hibachi and a couple of bike tires) in the van, and then tie them down once on the ferry.

We rolled off in Tswassessen, near Vancouver, and headed up the Fraser River valley through Delta and Surrey, catching the Trans-Canada Highway (TCH) near Langford. It was getting raining heavily and getting late by the time we rolled into a roadside RV park just off the highway for the night.

Day 2: Chilliwack to Winlaw, BC: 577 km

After Chilliwack and breakfast at the White Spot, we headed NE on the TCH to Hope, where we turned W onto Highway 3, also known as the Crowsnest Trail. This route would take us through the Cascades, the Okanagan Valley, into the Kootenaies, and finally, over the Crowsnest Pass into Alberta.

After the gradual climb up the Fraser, the steep climb through Manning Provincial Park to 1300 m was a bit of a workout for the van, but the first of many. We spent a lot of time with the auto trans in 2nd on 8-12% grades to summits and passes in the 1200 - 1400 m range, and then we'd drop back down to a few hundred meters in the valleys on the other side. Great scenery...esp. the Okanagan, which is high, dry and spectacular..quite a change from the rain forests on the coast. We were there just as the pruning and planting was happening, but on our return trip, we will be stopping in a the local fruitstands and vinyards for some excellent organically-grown local produce.

We spend the night with friends in Winlaw, a small village in the Slocan valley, near Nelson. Interesting histories in this part of the country, including the Aboriginal occupancy along the upper Columbia river, early booms and busts by prospectors and ranchers, and in the early 20th century, the arrival of Russian Doukoubours--a pacifist, communitarian Anabaptist sect-- who set up some rather large and successful cooperative farms before running afoul of local sentiments. In one of the more shameful episodes of Canadian history, the children of the Doukourbours were taken from their parents in the mid-50's and interred in residential schools, in an unsuccessful attempt to 'Canadianize' them.

Day 3: Winlaw, BC to Cardston, Alberta: 565 km

After a great breakfast in Winlaw and a few more visits with friends in Nelson, we crossed the north end of Kootenay Lake by ferry and drove down the eastern shore. A fine drive along narrow roads through small artisan communities, with spectacular views of the lake and the Kokanee glacier fields. We then passed through Cranbrook and Fernie, and by late afternoon, we had worked our way through to the Rockies. The stretch from Cranbrook to Coleman is one of my favourite drives in the world, and a 'must do' for anyone who gets a thrill in the mountains. It's not a 'technical driving' road, just a nice drive with great vistas.

After passing through the Rockies and into Alberta, we drove through the rubble of the Frank Slide, where a mountain has literally buried the former coal mining town of Frank. Awe-inspiring, and a great corrective to those who may place their faith in the predictions of experts when it comes to messing with the basic laws of nature. Gravity and entropy will usually win in the long run.

We spent the night with my family in Cardston, a small community at the doorstep of Waterton-Glacier National Park. The Park is perhaps the best-kept secret when it comes to the mountain parks in either Canada or the States, so I won't tell you anything about it here. You'll have to go see for yourselves.

Day 4: Cardston to Swift Current, Saskatchewan: 898 km

We left Cardston in the mid-afternoon, and headed east across the prairies through Lethbridge, Taber and Medicine Hat and into Saskatchewan. I grew up in this part of the world, and although it's been nearly two decades since I'd lived there, and although I've been back many times since, I'm always amazed by the changes. The old family farms and ranches that I remembered are being replaced by feedlots and corporate farming operations, the old grain elevators are coming down, replaced by concrete and steel 'super-elevators'. I guess that nothing is constant, but I find all of these changes disheartening. I'm also more alert to the dependency in this very dry part of the world on irrigation, and to the salinization of the soils that is occurring as a result. This year seems especially grim, as the reservoirs are the lowest they've been in decades.

Day 5: Swift Current to Winnipeg, Manitoba: 535 km

Yawn. There are so many cliches about driving across the prairies that I won't repeat them. In previous years, the monotony of the landscape has been broken by an incredible variety of migratory bird species, but this year, the land is drier than I've ever seen it. Most of the sloughs and marshes are barely there, so the waterfowl and shorebirds seem have moved on to greener pastures.

We were challenged on this stretch by 40-60km hour crosswinds from the SE, which meant that I kept my steering wheel turned about 15 degrees off centre for the whole trip and grimmaced everytime a big rig blew by, and I'd rather not talk about the overpasses or bridges that we had to traverse. But having the Tragically Hip turned up loud for most of the drive made it all worthwhile (esp. having '100th Meridian' strategically queued up for the moment when we actually crossed that imaginary line!)

We rolled into Winnipeg and spent a fine evening being entertained by friends. After a breakfast that couldn't be beat, we patronized a local charity carwash to get the bugs off the grill, and headed out.

Day 6: Winnipeg to Batchewana Falls, Ontario: 805 km

The prairies end about an hour E of Winnipeg, and the Canadian Shield begins. I love this country...windswept pines clinging to granite over lakes, the Group of Seven and all that. But, this image is in danger of becoming a thing of the past. The reality is that under Premier Harris, "forest management" in Ontario is pulling out all the stops. They apparently don't even bother with the beauty strip anymore...clearcuts right down to roadside...and this on the Trans-Canada/Hw. 17, the 'main drag' through NW Ontario. ! Short-term thinking at its best, and a typically Canadian tragedy in the making.

But, I still get a thrill when we catch our first glimpse of Superior...now, that's a lake! Right at sunset, in fact, which makes it all the better. We were hoping to camp at the Batchewana Prov. Park, near the falls (the "Niagara of the North") but we learn to our dismay that the provincial parks won't open until the 15th, so we end up in a commercial campground nearby, which isn't bad, but we are still disappointed.

Day 7: Batchewana Falls to Montreal River, Ontario: 461 km

We've taken the 'south' branch of Hw. 17, which will take us along north shore of Superior to Sault St. Marie and on to Sudbury. This stretch of highway remains one of my favorite drives in Canada...great views of the lake, lots of elevation, and much of it remains protected within provincial and national parks. A lunch stop (hell, any excuse for a stop) at Old Woman Bay is mandatory! One of the most awesome vistas on the planet!

Ol' Blu doesn't much like the climbs (7-10% grades) but does just fine in 2nd. After BC, this stuff is a breeze. We take our time, with frequent stops and 'boil ups' on the stove, just cause we are tired of making the big miles everyday. We are again frustrated by the fact that the gov't campgrounds haven't opened for the season, so we end up at a commercial campground at the mouth of the Montreal River in the late afternoon. "Sunset Resort"...despite the tacky name, a great spot...and a better choice, IMHO, than the gov't campgrounds. We park on a ridge just above the estuary, pop the top and spend the rest of the day flying our kites and cooking on the hibachi...nice place for some 'vacation' in the middle of the drive.

Day 8: Montreal River to Renfrew County, Ottawa Valley, Ontario: 809 km

We rolled out early, and headed south to Sault St. Marie for breakfast. From the Sault, Hw. 17 through Sudbury. Sudbury in the spring is still a revelation. Years of nickel mining, smelting and refining virtually turned the region into a moonscape. From the mid-70's, the construction of a 'Mile High' stack, new scrubbing technology, and extensive ecological remediation work has mitigated the effects somewhat...there are now little copses of birch and aspen on what used to be blackened rock. In the spring, however, before the leaf-out, you can see how much work is left to do...it will be generations before this land heals.

We grab some stuff for a road lunch, and head towards North Bay, and from there, to Mattawa and into the Ottawa River Valley. This is a great part of the country...an old and well-settled mix of French and English farms and woodlots on both sides of the River. The river forms the boundary between Quebec and Ontario, but the valley seems to have a culture of its own. We drive until nearly dark, and spend the night at a log home with friends near Renfrew.

Day 9: Renfrew County, Ontario to Malbaie, Quebec: 639 km

We are getting close to the end of the trip...so after another breakfast that couldn't be beat, we roll out on Hw. 17, which becomes the 417 as we approach Ottawa. Ottawa traffic is a revelation...we pass through during the morning rush hour (bad planning, I know) and choke in the smog, but this is just a warm-up for Montreal. Montreal drivers are legendary, and I've learned to curse in French with the best of them! The construction isn't too bad this year, so it isn't as traumatic as it usually is, and we are soon pushing Blu to 4500 rmp to keep up with traffic flow on the Autoroute between Montreal and Quebec City. A few chuckles along the way as we pass graffitti on the overpasses "NO WAY FTAA" (in English, no less!).

The upper St. Lawrence river valley is wonderful country, and I regret that we couldn't take our time, but we are intent on making time. We end up in the evening rush hour through Quebec City, and then, like a breath of fresh air, we are on Hw. 138, driving past the 'chutes' and through the tourist town of St. Anne d' Beaupre. We provision with great local cheese, bread and other delicacies, and take a relaxing evening drive up into the Laurentians to Baie St. Paul/Malbaie. We spend the night at a campground (closed, but the owner lets us stay there for $10) in Baie St. Paul. Baie St. Paul and Malbaie are wonderful destinations...art colleges, museums, local cheeses, festivals, great cafes, but we are beat, so we end up calling it a night.

Day 10: Malbaie to Manicougan Reservoir, Quebec: 601 km

A beautiful morning in la belle province...we take our breakfast at a cafe, and then back on the road. We feel like we are on 'home turf' now as we take the ferry across the Sagueney at Tadoussac...we can start to smell the salt air of the Gulf. We pass through small fishing towns, still quietly awaiting the summer tourist season, eat lunch on the beach at low tide, look for whales (but don't see any) and drive on. This is a part of the world where you need to spend a season, not a day...

We take some time at the Canadian Tire in Baie Comeau to make sure we have the essentials for the Trans-Labrador Highway (extra tire plugs, gas can, etc) and make some calls so that friends and family in Labrador know we are 'on the road' (should we break down, it would be really hard to contact anyone!). After we provision up, we turn north onto Rt. 389 towards Manic 5 in the late afternoon.

There is a steep climb from the coast...we gain more than 1000m in less than 50K. 214 km later, on a narrow, steep and winding road, we arrive at Manic 5. Manic 5 is a major hydroelectric installation, and the site of the Daniel-Johnston dam, which impounds the upper Manicougan river. It looms over us, a huge shadow of concrete buttresses. It's always reminded me of the Cheshire Cat's smile. On a map, you will see a "lake" in NE Quebec that looks like a donut--with a large island in the middle. This is the Manic reservoir. There are 4 more dams below Manic 5 before the Manicougan river finally meets the sea. We passed several of them as we approached.

The vast majority of this power generated from this river is sold to the US, representing tremendous profit for Hydro-Quebec (HQ), the Quebec government-owned utility. To many Quebecois, this dam represents the harnessing of the North for development, but to the Innu people that I've been living and working with for the past decade, it represents the end of away of life. The Innu were nomadic hunters until the 60's, and have only recently been settled into 11 communities in Labrador and Quebec. For generations, families of Innu had travelled between the North Shore and the Labrador plateau, and the rivers were their highways. Now, few of them run free, and the roads that were required to build the dams have opened the door for massive timber harvesting operations in Innu hunting territory.

This trip, we were spared the logging trucks, as the woods are still too wet to allow the heavy harvesting machines to operate effectively on the thin, sandy boreal soils. During peak operations, I've met more than 40 fully loaded oncoming log trucks in the 3 hours it takes to drive from Baie Comeau to Manic 5, and been passed by as many going back empty. Logging here is a 24h/day operation...you can see the lights from the harvesters just beyond the beauty strips when you drive it at night.

Quebec forestry practice is probably not that different from practice elsewhere, but it is presently occuring on a scale that dwarfs anything I've seen elsewhere. Continuous clearcutting, with cut blocks measured in the 100's of sq. km. The Innu and the Cree have long opposed this kind of "development", which is clearly unsustainable...these climate-limited, slow-growing forests will take at least 100 years to regenerate...if the damage that is occuring to the soils and watercourses as a result of the heavy machinery allows regeneration at all.

We fuel up, climb the steep grade to the top of the dam, and drive across the spillway bridge. The pavement ends here, folks...for the next 200 km or so, it is rough, rough gravel. We drive for about 3 hours, and then camp on the shore of the reservoir. A wonderful spot...the surface of the reservoir is still icebound, and we can still see recent snowmobile tracks. We spend the night under a spectacular Northern lights display...it's starting to feel like home.

Day 11: Manicougan Reservoir, Quebec to "41", Labrador: 935 km

We break camp at sunrise...we've got a long way to go. We top up with 0.95 c/l gas (that's nearly $4.00 CDN gallon, folks...$ at the Relais Gabriel, a truck-stop/rest-stop of sorts some 104 km beyond Manic 5, and in 60 km or so, we are back on pavement! Now, this is about as incongruous as finding a manicurist in a logging camp, but welcome to all who pass here. I can hear the stereo again, instead of the rocks bouncing off my wheelwells, and I no longer have to stop when passed by an oncoming semi (there were only 2 of 'em since Manic 5, thank you Lord!) to wait for the dust to clear so I could see the road again. Someone's contractor brother must have had some great connections to land this one! (Hey, Pierre, why don't we pave 100 km of nowhere!?) Actually, the history of this is tied to the hydro developments...Hydro Quebec once had a sizable townsite/workcamp called Gagnon here...you drive through it: boulevards, medians, driveways, storm sewer grates, but nothing beside remains...everything else was decommissioned. Still, it remains quite popular with the wilderness RV set...every summer, there are at least 2 doz. RV's parked here.

The pavement ends, and we are back on the gravel. But now it is somewhat more interesting, as we are S-curving across uncontrolled rail crossings. ARRET! signs are to be taken seriously here, folks...nothing like a collision with an iron ore train to ruin one's day, or more likely, losing an axle. These crossings are ROUGH! Great country though...open lichen woodlands, chock-o-block with eskers, morraines and other examples of glacial geography, run through with lakes and streams. The open-lichen woodland is my favorite forest type: imagine sparse, small black spruce trees (no more than 3 m high) standing in foot-deep pale green shag carpet...has to be seen!

70k later, we get a flat. Damn gravel does a job even on the BFG All-Terrains! No worries...a quick plug, some pumping, and we are back on the road. We pass the immense Mont Wright iron ore operation, a huge open pit on a scale that is hard to imagine...and arrive in Fermont, a mining town at the Labrador Quebec border, shortly after noon. We are back on the pavement now, for a few km anyway, as we pass through Labrador City/Wabush...twin mining towns. We fill up, and cross the border in Labrador. We grab our lunch (Mary Brown's!), make some calls, and head out on the Trans-Labrador.

There is a sign as you leave Wabush which reads "Driver Alert"...and it makes sense to read it if you've not taken this road before. 500 km of gravel, with only one town (Churchill Falls) at the 200 km point. This road is not well travelled, friends, and you'd best go prepared: spare tire, gas, tow ropes, and camping gear, because if you break down, get stuck, hit a caribou, etc. you might be waiting a while. For those of us who live there, this road is the only link to the 'outside', except by air or by ferry, which runs the 40h trip between Goose Bay and the Island of Newfoundland for 4 months of the year, so we kind of get used to it.

But it does a job on your vehicle...during the summer, at least. Sand, gravel, dust...everything is covered in dust. It is an obvious issue for the rocker panels, fenders and wheelwells, but I also find that small gravel also find its way into every crevice of the engine block...I live in the fear that some of this will find a way to do some serious damage. I just make it a point to do an engine cleaning after every trip on "the road" using a crevice tool on the shop vac to get the larger rocks, and the hose for the rest. I know that synchro.org has drawings for some modifications (grates and grills, etc) for difficult journeys, but I've not gone that distance yet. I do use one of those HD air filters from Bus Depot, though.

Spring in Labrador is a fine, fine time. We enjoy a 20 degree C day, and our stops at several Innu hunting camps set up along the road. Innu tend to be out on the land extensively this time of year...plenty of game (esp. geese) and NO FLIES! We visit with many friends and family, and enjoy a few cups of tea and some goose stew while lounging on fir boughs inside Innu tents.

Night catches up with us in Churchill Falls, a ticky-tacky company town servicing the massive Churchill hydro development. The Churchill Falls project is one of the greatest debacles in modern history...intended to be the engine for Newfoundland's development of the North, the project was completed under the terms of fixed-price contract negotiated in 1969 which commits virtually all of project's 5000 MW to Hydro Quebec at 0.002 kw/h until 2061. H-Q reaps billions of dollars of profits from the project, while Newfoundland pays most of the costs of maintaining the facility, which includes the world's largest underground powerhouse and a massive reservoir, which incidentally flooded 5000 sq. km of Innu hunting territory...

We gas up (costs me $44.50!) and we are on the road again. Driving under a clear, moonless night, we arrive at my brother-in-law's cabin shortly after 10. Lots of family is there to meet us, and we catch up, telling lies around the fire until we can't keep our eyes open.

The next morning we pull into Goose Bay, wash our van, and unpack...next day, while enroute to the post office, my alternator dies. Good timing!

Quite the ride: 6613 KM, $473 in fuel, no mechanical problems, one plugged tire. We averaged 7 km/L (about 17 mpG)...not great, but acceptable.

Still waiting for an alternator (and using a solar panel to keep the battery charged in the meantime...),

-- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- Larry Innes PO BOX 2156 Stn B Goose Bay, Labrador A0P 1E0 Canada 87 Westfalia GL "Blu" -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * --