Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 May 2001 22:39:08 -0700
From:         Bob McMain <RdRunr@ZiaNet.com>
Subject:      Good News on Westies
Comments: To: "Royston, Jerry" <gmr@obpa.usda.gov>

-----Original Message----- From: Royston, Jerry <gmr@obpa.usda.gov> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Friday, May 18, 2001 6:40 AM Subject: Westy/Vanagon Paranoia

>Please, more stories about how your Vanagon/Westy has been a great, safe, >and reliable vehicle and how it has opened up your world like no other >vehicle could. > >Gerry

Hey, Jerry. Keep your chin up about the Westy. My wife & I have owned four vanagon westies---an 85, two 87's and an 88---all full campers. Our first was the 85, purchased in 90 with 125K on the odo. We were the 2nd owners. The first owner had to replace the heads at 75k and I had to replace the head gaskets when we purchased it.

We drove and camped in that 85 all over Calif, Nevada, Ariz, New Mexico, Colorado and as far east as Minnesota and a trip to Ft. Worth, TX. Sold it in 96 with 212K on it and got $1000 more than we paid for it. It was beautiful and never left us stranded on the road. The only major repairs were replacing the ECU with a rebuilt; new small coolant hoses; and a new coolant expansion tank. The couple who bought it planned to drive it to Tierra del Fuego!!

The 88 had a glitch in the engine when we bought it. The engine would cut out intermittently and turning the ignition off and restarting it would make it run right again for a while. It took me several months before I discovered that it was a loose ground wire at the block (two local mechanics an a VW mechanic in Tucson couldn't find the problem). It almost drove me to sobriety trying to find that damn loose connection. Once I did I cleaned the connnections, screwed it down tight, and it never had the problem again. We drove it for about 20k, mainly touring and camping in New Mexico, and sold it for a few thousand more than we paid for it.

Next was an 87 Syncro Westy that only had 23K on it. It was almost showroom new. Only kept it a couple of years, put about 12k on it and sold it for a few thou more than we paid for it. This was a super vehicle and we only sold it because dumb me thought we should move up to something bigger, like a mini-motorhome.

Fortunately, I regained consciousness, we didn't buy a mini and now own another 87 with 75k on it. It's our first with an AT and it looks and runs like new. We've put about 5k on it. It did strand us on our first long trip (Albuquerque to Phoenix and back) when a belt broke about 25 miles east of Flagstaff. Fortunately, I shut the engine down quickly so that it didn't burn up and we had AAA Plus and got towed in to Flag where all three belts were replaced at Pep Boys for $60. Returning home the expansion tank started leaking and we had that replaced at Burk's Auto Haus in Flag. I noticed the leak while stopped for lunch at Macy's in Flag and drove it over to the Auto Haus. Burk is an excellent mechanic, runs a clean shop, and is a fine person with a wealth of VW experience & expertise. I recommend him to anyone in the Flagstaff area who needs a master mechanic.

Both of these repairs on the current 87 were the fault of my inadequate preventive maintenance. I should have known to replace the belts before the trip. I had noticed the beginning of a leak in the expansion tank and took it to a VW shop before the trip and told them I thought it needed a new tank. They insisited the cause of the leak was a faulty sensor on the tank and that's what needed to be replaced. I should have been more insistent on my own diagnosis and remedy.

The most important thing with a Vanagon is to maintain them impeccably; notice any problem in its infancy and get it fixed. Find and use a good mechanic who knows Vanagons for the work you can't do or don't want to do. Drive it at reasonable speeds (rpms); don't lug the engine; use the proper coolant and good clean fuel; replace the belts regulalry; and wash & polish it regularly. Washing it and smiling while you do makes the Westy want to return the good favor by carrying you safely to fun places.

There is nothing quite like the Vanagon Westy for fun traveling and camping. They will consistently get 19-20 mpg and you have everything you need for a day trip or a long camping/touring trip. The one exception is the need to carry a porta-potti. It fits nicely behind the passenger seat and serves as a footstool when the seat is swiveled around at the campsite. Our real vacations are always in our Westy. We've gone so many places we couldn't have afforded if we were moteling it. Our next big trip will be to the Grand Canyon North Rim. It's our favorite place to go to and to enjoy the natural world. We'll boondock in the Nat'l Forest most of the time and be quite content with a fridge, stove, and water in our compact camper van.

We're now considering a Eurovan camper just to move to newer equipment. However, it will be very hard to beat the Vanagon for comfort, fun, manueverability and special character. It never fails that we have good interesting conversations wherever we stop. People love to take a look inside the Westy and to ask us to tell them about our Westy.

Get your rig in good shape. Use the expertise of the vanagon list; do preventive maintenance; find a really good mechanic to use as needed; and go on the road with confidence.

Keep on truckin'---

Bob 87 Westy "RDRUNR1" Albuquerque