Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 May 2001 10:49:38 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@juno.com>
Subject:      Re: Corvair and Porsche 914 Engines (Was: Towing!!!)
Comments: To: SBWC919@aol.com

My 83 aircooled Westfalia runs down the road at 70-75 MPH. and an occasional down hill run of 80+. It stops at redlights, railroad crossings, behind school busses. It gets 17-20 MGP. It is a great camping vehicle. I've got 110,000 miles on the aircooled engine I'm currently running. I'm very happy with the Vanagon Westfalia just the way it is, I think VW did a good job in engineering and they built a quality vehicle. It does just exactly the things it was designed and built to do. I've got zero interest in ever having a Watercooled, because I don't want to think about engine conversions or a possible $3000.00 engine rebuild job. I'm thinking that the subaru must be a good conversion for watercooled but my solution would be to skip the conversion and buy an aircooled with the 2000cc engine. All in all it's about the same price. I see good rustfree 80-83 aircooled Westfalias for as little as $1200.00 to a high of $4500.00 I visit a lot of wrecking yards in search of aircooled parts, mostly without succes but I find very nicely kept watercooled Vanagons that have the engine partially dis-assembled with parts in the back seat, the killer is the high cost of the engine rebuild. They also have in the area of 220,000 miles on the spedometers. I'd speculate that most cars approaching 220,000 miles are not on the roads since they're fifteen years old. I've found many Watercooled Vanagon owners with great longevity on their vans and engines but it comes down to the fact that are satisfied dealing with the lesser performance and just practice good preventive maintenance. I'm not dependent on my Westfalia for daily transportation so I look at my Westfalia as a hobby more than a necessity. I see many list members with four and sometimes more VW Vans of various types listed on their closing lines and I see that they are enthusiast of the Van, Bay, TypeII, Vanagon, Westfalias, Beatles, Bugs, Things, Ghias so it's a hobby or collection for them.

If you're dead set on a conversion: Bruce Crower (Crower cams) Harvey Crane (Crane Cams) have both made backwards running camshafts for me (small block chevy and corvair to use in Baha Races in super dune buggys) and furnished the cam gear sets and distributor gears. You are virtually wide open to put almost engine in your Vanagon that you can shoe horn in. All it takes is money and in the end you've still got a box to go from point A to B and thats all VW designed the Vanagons and Busses to do.

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air Cooled 256K

On Sat, 19 May 2001 10:44:31 EDT Brian McClure <SBWC919@aol.com> writes: > I always thought that a 2.8 liter Chevy v6 and fiero drivetrain would > be a > good set up for a van. Never got past the thinking stage though- put > the > Subaru motor in, and never looked back! > Brian 83 Urabus

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.