Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 May 2001 11:14:52 -0500
From:         Chris Stann <ChrisS@informs.com>
Subject:      Re: Odometer fixed, thanks to the list
Comments: To: "Christopher T. Berchin" <ctb1@peoplepc.com>

Hallelujah! FYI the Jetta and Golf odometers like to do same thing. Coincidence? The world may never know.

Chris. ----- Original Message ----- From: Christopher T. Berchin To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2001 10:37 AM Subject: Odometer fixed, thanks to the list

Hi all. When I bought my Vanagon a couple weeks ago, the owner said that the odo had just stopped working. He had gotten gas, reset the trip odo, and then nothing. Someone had posted to the list regarding a Porsche odometer fix, suggesting that something similar may work on the Vanagon. Today I tore into my gauges, and I now have working odometers! The problem wasn't exactly like the Porsche fix, but it was similar. The rod that holds the odometer numbers had slipped outboard over time, allowing the gear on the end to disengage from the worm gear below. I pushed on the gear, and it was tight, but then the whole rod clicked over positively about 3mm. After a short spin around the block, I verified that both trip odo and odo are working. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it continues to work. At least now I know what the problem is if it happens again.

If anyone else has the problem of the speedo working but the odos are dead, check this out. It was very simple to do - took me 40 minutes, start to finish. Thanks again to the list for being so helpful!

Chris

[text/html]