Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 May 2001 16:07:10 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Subject:      Re: Eurovans --help, comparison
Comments: To: ThingGuy@aol.com

ThingGuy@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 5/15/01 12:34:41 PM, macmillan@home.com writes: > > << I went through this exercise last year and learned two things: 1) the > five cylinder engines are junk. If you buy one, expect an expensive > rebuild soon since most are now over 100,000 miles, and suffering from > piston slap. 2) The six cylinder models are very expensive, even used. >> > > I am in total disagreement with you. Most EVs are going over 200,000 miles > and are still going strong. The 5 cylinder is an excellent motor, and even > though the '92 and early '93 engines can have the piston slap, it doesn't > seem to reduce the longevity of the engine.

It will. > > I'm pushing 150,000 miles on my '93 and have had no engine problems at all. > In fact, other than the normal parts you expect to go out, my EV has been > excellent and very reliable. I've only had to replace a few engine sensors, > transmission mount, radiator and coolant hoses, timing belt and pulleys and > water pump. Most of this has been preventative maintenance.

That's very good, you take good care of your car. > > As for being underpowered, I'd be more than happy to put my stock EV up > against any stock Vanagon.

They are both underpowered, especially the campers. > > Don't comment on the EV unless you have first hand experience. I also have > heard some horror stories regarding engine and transmission problems on the > '92-'95 EuroVans. Most of these come from owners who bought the EV used and > did not have the service records and the vehicle wasn't taken care of.

Never owned one, but I've driven both the five cylinder and the '99 my friend owned on moderate trips. The '99 was TOO powerful for my own good, but nice.

> > I do not own a Vanagon, but it would be easy for me to say that most water > cooled Vanagons never see 80K without having at least a top end rebuild. I > could also say that the coolant hoses all leak and the fittings easily break > and engines give out before 100K.

And you'd be right! > > If you were reading the EV_Update list on Yahoogroups.com, you may be scared > away by the postings of problems. The same would be true for the Vanagon > list, or any other automotive list. People rarely post that their vehicle is > running good and is reliable and never break down. Most people only post > when they have a problem and are looking for assistance.

There were WAY TOO MANY folks with expensive problems on very expensive late model vehicles to give me any confidence in the Eurovan, especially for the money. > > Steve Lashley > SKL Enterprises > http://EuroCampers.com

-- Stuart MacMillan Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1 '65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969) '74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Personal mechanic for: '70 MGB GT (Daughter's)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM): '72 MGB GT (Was daughter's, now son's) '64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on: '68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT