Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 May 2001 13:27:27 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@ipa.net>
Subject:      fuel press. reg. gauge option/results ?'s

For those of you that have a VDO OP gauge installed in the vehicle, it's not that big a stretch to wire in a fuel pressure gauge sender for testing purposes, especially if you happen to have a spare vdo op sending unit(either single or double pole unit will work).

The wire from the dash has a quick disconnect crip on male/female connector to it back by the O2 connector so there is the feed to the dash gauge and a short wire is strung over to the T conncetion in the middle of the block, where I used a short piece of the leftover Wilfy fuel line kit and two stainless hose clamps to secure the 7mm FI hose to the T connection(after removing the screw plug) and then shoving the other end over the 1/8 npt(or it's german equivelant) end on the vdo sender. Quick alligator clip to ground the temporary sender to the block got instant readings, once the starter kicked in.

Readings went as follows: Vac hose on at idle(11" hg on vaccum gauge) 33psi and 32psi at 12" with the engine idling around 1000 rpm. Normally, I would think a stock Vanagon engine in good health would idle with a higher vaccum reading than this, as I couldn't ever get it down to the required 29 psi. The fact that the pressure dropped 1 psi with one additional inch of vaccum makes me think this FPR may be okay. Anyone care to guess along with me? With the hose off it read between 36 and 38psi. Remember, this is a half Lilly Boston Bob engine with the cam mods and still a couple of bugs to work out just to get it to idle as it is still running pretty rich. Is this indicative of a failing FPR? The motor is running way too rich at miod to full throttle and before I cut back the "on time" of the fuel injectors, I'd like to make sure the FPR isn't part of the problem. It appears to be original equipment on this 90GL.

BTW, the Sears Fuel Pressure test gauge is now $40, and since Wilfy sells new FPR's for $50, well I guess I was looking for a cheaper alternative to analyze with.

Thanks be to the list for their help.

DM&FS