Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 May 2001 19:47:13 EDT
From:         Steve Cotsford <Cotsford@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Bus sighting
Comments: To: DBAKER5@kc.rr.com

Way back in the sixties, there were camper conversions in the UK that were cheaper than the Westfalia and were done in England. One was Dorset and the other was Devon. The Devon at least existed into the 70's I owned a Devon conversion. It was a splittie with the bigger rear window. 1962 I think. The roof was fibreglass and was hinged from one side and had 2 opening vents in the roof. The cabinets in the back were metal and housed a sink and stove which folded out. The rear seats would rotate and fold and could be made into 1 double bed or 2 singles. A nice sized table folded up from the sidewall between the seats and could also be hooked onto the back when the hatch was up. There were also 2 fold out campbeds in the roof It was a nice van but ......36HP!! I remember having trouble passing 2CV cars in France. My guess is what you saw was one of the British conversions, perhaps modified later. I seem to remember home made conversions as well.

Steve Cotsford '84 Westy Columbia SC

[text/html]