Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 May 2001 22:35:34 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>
Subject:      Re: battery relay question
Comments: To: sg <sg@sunsetwinona.com>

VW would drive this relay from the D+ lead of the alternator (which goes to the panel alt light/tickler circuit). This will drive the relay only when the alternator begins to charge.

They also would ground the relay through pin 50 of the ignition switch, ensuring that it will never operate while cranking. I think that's overkill myself, as the chance of the alternator charging while you crank seems remote, but that's how they do it.

david

At 05:54 PM 5/15/2001, sg wrote: >hello list, >here's a question from my friend, a previous westie owner, and maintainer >of his girlfriend's westie: > >I'm trying to hook up a battery separating relay >switch in a 1987 Vanagon, and am having trouble >because I can't find a switched power line. The way >the relay switch works is it's triggered when the >ignition turns on (connects the two batteries) and >disengages when the ignition turns off (disconnects >the two batteries). The problem is I can't find any >power line in the vanagon that only has power when the >key is turned. Anyone know of one? > >thanks, >steve&buster

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"