Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 May 2001 22:26:21 -0500
From:         andrewbell <andrewbell@qwest.net>
Subject:      Re: singled out from the Vanagon list...sorry

OK, Rio, here it is...

List, here it is...

AB

Rio Rafael wrote:

Andrew:

I have tried ending this message to the Vanagon list but it seems to not be able to post for some reason. As I just got the digest, and your name was first on the list, could I please ask you the favor of posting this message up for the list to respond?

Thanks and sorry if this is inconvenient.

Rio

rior@bigfoot.com

Hello everyone: New to the list and new to watercooled VWís. Have owned aircooleds for a long time (still have one).

My Vanagon is an 83 ìfull camperî Westy and was a one-owner vehicle. I love it but would love it more if I could drive itÖ. So:

Here are my questions, maybe some of you could help me out.

1) I believe my van has a 1.9 engine. How can I be sure it is 1.9 and not 2.1?

2) The engine is locked up. It was rebuilt just a few (2-3) thousand miles ago. It has new AMC heads and the block and all accessories appear to be in excellent condition. I removed the rocker shafts to see if a valve might have obviously dropped but all valves appear to be seating correctly. There is oil and water where they should be. The engine is quite locked up (canít turn it by hand or starter). I donít have lots of $ to spend on this, and would like to re-use the new heads etc. Is it practical to consider rebuilding the short block myself? By the way, are the cylinders removable like aircooled or integral to the block?Is a spun rod bearing a common failure mode of the internals on the 1.9? Would this render the crank/case un-rebuildable?

3)Does anyone have a decent, running 1.9 (or even just the shortblock) to sell?

4) One person wants to sell me a running 2.1 but it is out of an auto trans van. Would my flywheel/ pressure plate/clutch bolt up to this? Are these engines ìzero-balancedî such that the flywheel and reciprocating parts form part of the counterbalance, therefore could casue a problem if I used my 1.9 flywheel etc on a 2.1?

What Iím getting at is I donít want aharmonic imbalance problem after getting the thing back togetherÖ 5) Another option is a used, unknown condition 2.1 that I have been offered. It is cheap, turns, but condition unknown (was from a burned-up bus). What is required to change to 2.1? Will my accessories (F.I, specifically) work?

6)What is the downside to installaing 1.9 heads on a 2.1?

Whew!Thanks everyone. Sorry for so many questions.

Rio

[text/html]