Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 May 2001 13:30:55 -0600
From:         John Brush <jbrush@aros.net>
Subject:      Re: Towing!!!

> I have to agree that the brakes are the limitation. I have plenty of power to > pull everything with the 2.1 but I plan ahead to stop. One of the next things I > want to do is upgrade my brakes. The mechanic I go to said to install braided > steel brake lines and I might do that. I did this upgrade on a motorcycle once > and the improvement was definitely perceptible.

I bought my air cooled 81 with no real knowledge of vanagons, just sort of fell in love with it and now I am wanting to tow, but the places I can pull my camper are limited by the power and the age. Sadly, I cannot bring myself to replace it, as it is a part of me (yikes!) so I have to tow long distances with my car. My children are not fans of camping using the car either. I feel like 10 more hp would let me tow my combo anywhere (of course that may mean a 100% increase <g>) so it is frustrating.

On days like today, I think about doing a conversion, and its a good idea until I remember, no water on this baby. I cannot afford a porsche motor, and could probably not make emissions testing with it anyway. <sigh>

So, here I am with a van I really like, and am confident in, and it can't quite do all the things that I need it to do. It just runs so darn well, and has been so reliable....... Oh well, sorry, just lamenting out loud. :)

Anyway, thanks for posting about your towing, as the archives are getting some real life data on the subject which will help a lot of folks.

John