Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 May 2001 08:48:52 -0700
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran@earthlink.net>
Subject:      Re: Westy/Vanagon Paranoia
Comments: To: "Royston, Jerry" <gmr@obpa.usda.gov>

Jerry,

Paranoia resolution, to me, is all in an attitude of planning, prudence, and preventive maintenance.

My wife and I have traveled 77,000 miles in the States in my 200,000-original miles engine-Westy- since 1995. We've gone east as far as northernmost Maine, and gone south to the tip of Florida, gone far northwest to northwestern Washington state, to Banff, in Canada, and west/east, east/west, at least 10 times, from Palm Springs, to San Antonio, TX. and into Middle America, through MO, and IL, IN, OH....ad infinitum towing a small Coleman 900 pound Versatrailer.

We posted 4,700 miles in 30 days in Europe in 1999 in a Listee's traded diesel Westy ( known in Europe as a "Joker.")

We logged 2,000 miles in 21 days in the UK, in 2000, especially in rural Scotland, in a Listee's traded Camper.

We have never had an untoward experience of either a personal, of a significant security, or of a "hassles," nature, and, only minuscule mechanical disruptions. I WAS "run off " by the grounds guard after spending a night in the parking lot of Holy Rode Palace.in Edinburgh. "You can't sleep here," said the guard, at 7 in the morning. "Why not,? I asked. "This is private property," he said. "Whose property, said, I? "The CROWN'S," said he, royally. "I'll go away and I won't do this again," said I, in my Irish-American penitent voice. I owe HRM a night's rental.

We've parked in central Brussels, and slept, quietly, outside a formal garden, whose, I do not know.. We've parked in France in the dropzone at D-Day parachute landing sites in Normandy; in the US in countless US Wal-Marts parking lot; in commercial (though, free, parking) truck stops with "RVs Welcome" signs. I've spent scores of nights in improved, unimproved, "under-construction", and "isolated" sites of BLM, Corps of Engineers, U.S. and Canada, Forest Service(s), state and county and other public campsites/crossroads/"panoramic vistas," in the US and Canada, in city centers and in residential neighborhoods, in "stealth" parking situations; in parking lots susch as Holy Rode in Edinburgh, ("run off" in the AM after sleeping undisturbed through the night) in national forest keepers' cabins' bicycle lots in Germany, in the city of Berlin, off the Unter der Linden; in Hamburg, in a university parking lot near the "red light district;" in police station lots in many Texas cities and towns, in funereal directors' parking lots,(-"We're waiting to bury Schwartz"-) in Catholic, Protestant, Fundamentalist, Apostolic, and, various other sect, church, temple, mosques, halls, and synagogue parking lots.

Best choice for me is Catholic church parking lots.

Any cop who is interested is either Irish or Hispanic.. "Officer, 1. I'm waiting for Father Murphy. 2.. I'm here for Mass, or,. 3. I have a woman here who needs to confess." "Check in on us throughout the night, OK?," I say. "We will," the cop says.

My mechanical failures have been minimal. I experienced the "Vanagon syndrome," once, in TX. I reread the List posts on that item, I alternated speeds and I "waited." My wife and I had lunch, while the system rectified itself. AND....I once had to "jiggle" a loose Ken Wilfey ignition switch which I had connected, incorrectly.

The timing belt on the traded Joker" diesel failed, as a matter of normal occurrence, as I understand. We left the van with the VW dealer in Rouen, rented a car and spent a day or two "wandering" around that area, contemplated Joan of Arc and the reconstructioin of the Cathedral, slept in a park in sleeping bag, sans difficulty, and ate breakfasts of hot soup and crisp bread on a curbside with workers dressed in "blousons blus" jackets

We post a Vanagon.com sticker and an "Airborne" sticker on the Westy window. A temporary, LARGE, illustrated, yellow "bad dog" sign, we display as needed, and I always present a confident bearing, carry spare parts and "most" of the tools needed to repair "most" of the situations we would expect to encounter, as well as credit cards, AAA-Plus mbmbership card, and, a cell phone...and a few one hundred dollar bills stashed in the Westy.

So, I suggest to you: Saddle up and ...GO.

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA 84 Westfalia

.