Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 May 2001 03:23:08 -0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Re: comments on Michelin Rainforce MX4

Dan -

A couple of days ago I proposed the theory that the reason VW specified a load range 97 for the 205/70 size was that they had a max pressure of 50 psi, and could only support a lower maximum weight at the reduced pressure of 40 psi, making them effectively the same as the 185R14 load range C tires (generally load rating 93).

After reading your note, I went to look at the (US) michelin site and, using their tire selector, found that they specified the Rainforce MX4 as the correct tire for the Vanagon, listing 48 psi rear for the 185 or 40 psi rear for the 205, as your door sticker says. But there was an interesting note -

"Pressure greater than 35 psi for P-Metric or 36 psi for Metric required for this application."

When I went to look at the specs, they didn't list a maximum pressure for the tires. However, on the e-tires.com site, they list the specs as "Maximum Pressure 35 psi"

I guess if Michelin says that's the right tire, I would go for it, but if the e-tires site is correct, and the sidewall max pressure is 35 psi, I find it fascinating that Michelin's web site would specify 40 or 48 psi when used on the Vanagon.

Probably more than you wanted to know, eh!

Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, Idaho

<SNIP>

I checked michelin.com. The only tire they seem to produce now that meets OEM in the Rainforce MX4. Two sizes are available, 185R14 91T or 205/70R14 95T

From my readings, I see that the load rating the 205s should be 97. I cannot understand the the 185 tire size (205/70R14 97R and 185R14C 6 PR are on the tag on the van).

Soooooo, are these MX4s safe and acceptable? What is the prefered size for highway driving and generally mucking about town?

Thanks,

Dan