Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 May 2001 23:17:38 -0600
From:         Steve Blackham <steph@uswest.net>
Subject:      Re: Analyzer question
Comments: cc: Pat Callaghan <patcal@qwest.net>

Pat:

I bought one last month and have been going to report to the list its effectiveness as soon as I can thoroughly test it and become competent in its operation. I don't feel I am there yet but with your query I feel I must give a preliminary response.

I ordered the basic model (CO only) for $170. They shipped me the "deluxe" model (listed for $250) for the same cost. This model is a dwell, tach and volt meter also. It arrived promptly within a few days which is not normal for my previous experience with JCW.

I began using this unit to diagnose my 87 Vanagon's richness and HC problem. At first this was a frustrating process. You first have to calibrate the unit to outside air and a 2% calibration. Because It kept coming up with high CO figures I originally questioned the accurracy of this unit. Finally when my family brought home other vehicles with what I feel were accurately in spec CO readings I determined that the unit was indeed accurate and would read CO under 1% somewhat accurately.

I finally found the problems with my 87 and it confirmed that these corrections did indeed bring it into spec. So far I would have to say that the unit does indeed work. Having said that, I wouldn't at this time recommend anyone else buy one. First it's construction is crap. Very cheap plastic. Very poor construction. What it actually is and does is not worth this kind of money. They have taken a similar technology to a lambda sensor and just fitted it with a metered read out. I have seen better dwell/tach, and volt meters for less than $30. Let me repeat though that it does appear to work. I am satisfied for my use that I didn't get taken to much in its purchase. I say this because I have 12 vehicles with different emmissions systems for which a simple O2 sensor and Volt meter won't work or at least be convenient.

I would not recommend this unit to others though. First, a cheaper and just as efficient means of testing a closed loop system is applying a good digital volt meter (say $40) to the O2 sensor circuit. I welded a 18 mm threaded insert to my 77 Bus's exhaust manifold and it gives me just as accurate idea of CO output / richness as this unit does and it costs under $30. The problem is neither shows HC content and to accurately set up your FI sytem you need to balance each.

If any one is interested in doing their own CO adjustments I would recommend first reading the Bosch FI articles in the bay window library. If you are still interested I would recommend reading two books available at you favorite "free, public" library---Barnes and Noble:" Bosch FI & Engine Management" by Charles Probst and "How to Tune & Modify Bosch FI" by Ben Watson. I know Digifant is not Bosch but it is very close to Bosch Mototronic and is also the successor to Bosch L Jetronic and the same principles apply. In the chapters in these that have to do with basic emmissions sciense is very interesting and if studied will give you a better idea what the relationship is between CO, HC, and NOx before and after a CAT.

Anyone local I would be glad to use this unit to test your FI. I won't lend it out because I fear this unit is to fragile to come back in one piece.

Steve