Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 May 2001 07:16:56 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@aol.com>
Subject:      Volkwagen Westfalia JOKER sighting

Yes, JOKER ! I had a fellow from Hull, QC come here to my shop in Almonte yesterday with a guanine Volkswagen JOKER that he just brought in from Germany. Picked it up in Halifax, drove it here to have a muffler installed so it would pass QC inspection to get registered and plated. It is a 1982, 1.6 diesel engined true Volkswagen (Vanagon style) Westfalia JOKER camper with pop top like ours. Front grille with four, large rectangular headlamps like our N. A. models outer headlamps but four of them ! No VW badge on the grille, no place for it ! Side windows are all Plexiglas and sort of bubble shaped. Middle ones each side tilt open from the bottom, hinged at top. Propane tank, twice the size of ours, has gauge, YES I SAID A REAL LIVE GAUGE !, auxiliary quick connect outlet on tank to go to whatever accessory you would want to connect. All the controls are covered up securely by a formed metal cover, painted the same colour as the Van, that is held in place by big black threaded knob. The Fridge is Electolux, sort of the same as our Dometic but different controls. It is self lighting ! Just push a button and hold the safety valve. It pulses spark until lit then a light comes on indicating it's lit and running. The fridge is also 12 volt & 220 VOLT - This is gonna be a problem ! Anyone out there know if this can be made to run on 110 volt ? Big question ! Sink is twice the size of ours. Stove, two burner, is 90 degrees out from ours. One burner in front of the other rather than side by side. Controls on top not in front. Burners have safety elements that you must hold on till hot. Cabinets say Westfalia on them, they are shorter in length, compartment and drawer under sink are narrower. Holding tank for water is under sink and is just a plastic jug with a submersible pump in it. Storage cabinets to rear of fridge, only one rear most. Then there is a small 16" x 16" x 6" propane heater installed, looked to be installed other than by Westfalia, in this space, on the floor with a bit of shelved storage above it and an upholstered seat on top of that. The upper bunk part that folds out is in two pieces rather that like our one piece. The walls of the van are not upholstered like ours but just the painted metal. Cigarette lighter on side of drivers seat pedestal, near the seat belt receptacle. Battery is in the engine compartment not under passenger seat. Passenger seat swivels, not drivers. No arm rests on front seats nor on rear bench seat. No, city water hook up for sink. Exhaust port for fridge is just a small square PLASTIC cover, like a dryer vent but smaller. One large oblong lateral port of 220 volt plug in, humongous male European style plug, hinged in place under the flap. No extension cord attached. Came with original Westfalia side tent in BURGUNDY. Only been set up ONCE ! I did not see the tent.....yet.....Simon is bringing the JOKER to <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm"> BusFusion</A> and he will set up the tent for all BusFusionites to see. Aluminium wheels were different from the ones we see here. VW emblem in centre were indicating stock VW items. Hard to describe ! It was pretty cool all around and I spent way too much time checking it out. I did get a new muffler installed for him as well as repairing a broken water faucet, lubricating the sticking shift rod, and checking out the propane system and getting all the gadgets to work. Yes, the fridge lit right up ! After we learned what Auf & Zu mean on all the valves between the tank the stove, fridge & heater. There are two valves on the tank, main and aux. Four more under the sink, one main, one for stove, one for the fridge one for the heater ! I hope to have some pics of it soon and will let you all know when I post them to a website where we can all have a look see. He's thinking about reselling this gem, no idea why but he did say he would let me know and send me more details. Anyways, it will be at <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm">BusFusion</A> so any of you coming will see it and those of you who want to see it get on over to BusFusion in Almonte June 7, 8, 9, 10. Don't know about BusFusion ? Then click on the link !

Cheers

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm">BusFusion</A> a VW Camper event in Almonte, June 7-10 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: <A HREF="http://www.vanagon.com/">Vanagon List</A>, <A HREF="http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/">LiMBO</A>, <A HREF="http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/CIW_English.asp">IWCCC</A> & Capital City VW Club Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers</A>   <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html">Frank Condelli & Associates</A> or http://frankcondelli.com

[text/html]